Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned RR Tunnels in NYS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1095830  by jmarino

JBlaisdell wrote:I don't know if I'd call the structure in Kingston a tunnel, more like a box culvert.
I t was always known as a tunnel to us , it is about 350 feet and goes under two city streets and i believe it has been there over 100 years. Russ as far as the trolley museum running past Muuray st. I seen a engine as far west as the third ave crossing late 90s ?? maybe all grade crossing murray street west are covered over and signal lights at crossings have been removed for some time now
 #1115058  by jmarino

Recently I seen a plan to remove the tracks from the old U&D tunnel [ trolley musuem ] and put a rail trail thru the tunnel down to the trolley museum , More the old U&D to thre scapper.
 #1115229  by RussNelson

This is probably the same plan that includes ripping up the rest of the U&D. I can't imagine that residents of the numbered avenues would be enthusiastic about a rail-trail going through their backyards. On the other hand, the trolley museum isn't using the tracks, so maybe a trail down to the waterfront would be a good thing?? Take people's attention off the CMRR!
 #1115542  by jmarino

RussNelson wrote:This is probably the same plan that includes ripping up the rest of the U&D. I can't imagine that residents of the numbered avenues would be enthusiastic about a rail-trail going through their backyards. On the other hand, the trolley museum isn't using the tracks, so maybe a trail down to the waterfront would be a good thing?? Take people's attention off the CMRR!
some are not happy about the trail however the trolley museum as you said is not using them and track are overgrown and a collect debris and garbage , and they will never connect to CMRR or CSX , when the city purchased the right of way as you probuly know they stopped at 2.4? I believe and the remainder from their to csx switch then conrail was purchsed by private parties so hopefully your right and this can draw attention away from cmrr. Shame trolley museum didnt go up the hill thow,
 #1212126  by jmarino

Work has started in cleaning the old U&D tunnel out at 2.1 not sure if rails are removed yet but a large amount of garbage and brush has been removed
 #1298188  by jmarino

A update on the ulster and Delaware tunnel in Kingston , the rails have been removed for a trail along with the rail from 2.7 to 1.o the trolley museum ,more rail gone :(
 #1298282  by lvrr325

Sounds like MP 1.0 to MP 2.7. Which, of course, is the section east of the River Line that's not connected and already has a big chunk removed. One mile is a short trolley ride, though.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1298285  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Sounds like MP 1.0 to MP 2.7.
That's a lot of track. I thought things were still on hold. Is that bozo politician just going ahead anyway without proper authority?
 #1298563  by jmarino

the rails are removed from just west of the tunnel east down the hill to 1.3 or so crews are progressing east to the trolley :(
 #1303075  by greenwichlirr

BR&P wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:Sounds like MP 1.0 to MP 2.7.
That's a lot of track. I thought things were still on hold. Is that bozo politician just going ahead anyway without proper authority?
That was what I was wondering. he has already proven that he is 'above the law' with the "truck on the track" stunt last year that got him NO fines or trouble apparently. I would LOVE to know the full story on this.