Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned rail line/trail in/near Aberdeen MD

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#228845  by Bobby S

Not too familiar w the area yet but my GF has told me her and a friend of hers go biking/hiking on a trail by the Chesapeake. She tells me it used to be a railroad of sorts. What might this be? And when or why did it become abandoned? Towns/crossings would be helpful as she would know better than I. Thanks...

#228876  by BaltOhio

I guess we need more specific clues. As far as I know, there are no abandoned lines in or around Aberdeen. The original PRR (now Amtrak) line into Havre de Grace followed a different alignment, running to the south of the present line. This was later used as an industrial spur. There was also a line along the south (west) bank of the Susquehanna between Havre de Grace and Conowingo dam, which was basically an industrial line used to bring in materials during the building of the dam.

#232300  by Legio X

There is trackage on post at Aberdeen Proving Ground, but seems to rarely see any movements. In the "Military Railroads" forum there is a thread about APG. Check it out.

#232524  by CarterB

Perhaps a bit further south??? the old WB&A or B&A around Annapolis??

#233770  by CBRy

Maybe you are referring to the old Chesapeake Beach Railway
right-of-way? Also the old Southern Maryland Railroad ROW in
St. Mary's County MD is being used as a trail in places. I'm ex-
tremely familiar with the history and locations of both. Have ex-
tensive files, pics, and other info on both. these are great old
trails and you can feel the history when you walk there.

#375848  by Bobby S

Ok... It's been a year but I am seasoned a bit more. The trail I originally asked about WAS the one from the dam down the Susquehanna which was answered here a while back. So this was used to haul material for building the dam? Where and what ROW did it connect to in Have de Grace? Any traces of it besides the ones up the river before the dam? Thanks

#375984  by BaltOhio

Glad to have you back, and glad you're so persistent. Yes, the line was built to haul construction materials for the dam which, as I recall, was built in the late 1920s. It remained in place for many years after, and perhaps was used part of that time to haul in other materials. I believe the motive power was a 4-wheel Plymouth. When I last saw it in the late 1960s, the rails were still in (at least where I was) but unused for many years before.

The line connected at ground level with the PRR freight spur into Havre de Grace. As I recall, it veered west away from the river on the outskirts of Havre de Grace and went down some street to meet the PRR. The PRR spur was the original mainline alignment, which left the present line between Aberdeen and Havre de Grace and followed it to the south at grade level. Before the present (1903) bridge was built, the original mainline crossed the river on a low-level bridge south of the present bridge,on the piers that still exist there.

#376318  by CarterB

Here's a 1942 topo map showing the Susquehanna Power Co RR. Looks as if the upper part of it may have been built on/over the old canal path?

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=MD

#376359  by BaltOhio

Yup, the Susquehanna & Tidewater Canal once ran on the river's west bank from Wrightsville, PA (with an across-river connection to the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal at Columbia) to Havre de Grace. It was opened in 1839, ended up owned by the Reading, and was closed in 1890. (The Maryland part remained operational for another ten years or so, though.) Most signs of it have been pretty well submerged or otherwise wiped out, but the company HQ building/lockhouse and a lock are preserved at Havre de Grace.

#376534  by Bobby S

Thanks for the info!!! Now looking at the 1942 historical maps from Carter B, it seems this line ends at route 40 after going under the current CSX line. There also appears to be a connection between the two at this junction. Any remnants at this point?
 #376551  by RailVet

NRHS Bulletin Vol 29, No. 4, 1964 shows a picture on page 51 an excursion over this line. The caption reads: "A pleasant outing of the Baltimore Chapter in 1958. Plymouth engine and two gondolas comprise the chapter's special on the private line of the Philadelphia Electric Company between Havre de Grace and Perryville, Md." (The caption is incorrect - the line ran from Havre de Grace along the south side of the river to the Conowingo Dam, not across the river to Perryville.) In the picture the little locomotive and one of the gons are on a bridge over a creek feeding into the river. About 5 or 6 years ago I stood on this same spot and took a current photo. Some of the old right-of-way (to include the bridge in the photo) has been converted into a walking trail with light gravel placed between rails that are often still in place. In other areas along the route, the rails are in place but cluttered with trees, brush, and suffer from washouts. Ara Mesrobian was the photographer and I've asked him if he remembers when the line closed, but he doesn't recall. I obtained a PDF history of the construction of the line from the power company operating the dam, but it too does not list an abandonment date.

#376730  by BaltOhio

Bobby S wrote:Thanks for the info!!! Now looking at the 1942 historical maps from Carter B, it seems this line ends at route 40 after going under the current CSX line. There also appears to be a connection between the two at this junction. Any remnants at this point?
The dam line passed under the CSXT (B&O) line and US 40 bridge and, as I mentioned earlier, went down one of the streets in Havre de Grace to connect with what was once the PRR mainline and later a freight spur into Havre de Grace. While in the street, it passed under the present Amtrak NEC line, and I would see it all the time from trains passing over. As far as I know, there was no connection with the CSXT/B&O line, which would have required some reasonably substantial grading to reach it.

The map posted cuts off at the outskirts of Havre de Grace (or at least what I could bring up did), and more detail to the southeast should reveal all.

#376835  by Bobby S

BaltOhio- If you look at the "SOUTHEAST" 1942 map (maptech) it will show Have de grace and where this line entered the city. It looks like there was a connection to the CSX line if looked at real close. I am not sure of the grade here but the Perryville Port Road detour connection across the river was very steep.

#376875  by BaltOhio

Bobby S wrote:BaltOhio- If you look at the "SOUTHEAST" 1942 map (maptech) it will show Have de grace and where this line entered the city. It looks like there was a connection to the CSX line if looked at real close. I am not sure of the grade here but the Perryville Port Road detour connection across the river was very steep.
Well, yeah, you may be right. I do see a spur leading off to the NE from the B&O line, and although it doesn't seem to be connected at the lower end, there appears to be a grading there. I've been to this spot to shoot photos and don't remember any grading down toward the river, but then I wasn't looking for it. The spot is accessible, so give it a try.

#408139  by Bobby S

This area is very steep w the quarry and all. I am determined to see if there was a connection with the CSX like the "old maps" said! That DEF must have been one hell of a grade... Anyone know what exact street in Havre De Grace this line ran down?? I am really starting to get a feel for this area!