Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned rail line/trail in/near Aberdeen MD

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#409374  by yettirockc

Growing up in Havre de Grace, I am intimately familiar with the area.

1) Tracks still exist from the foot of Juniata Street basically all the way to the dam. Arundel quarry now uses the old towpath/canalbed/roadbed for thier river-loading operations.

2) Tracks ran down Juniata Street to the tennis courts by the high school, where they veered off to the industrial siding now used by the Huber Corperation. They existed in the street until the early 90's when they were ripped out and the whole street was repaved.

3) There was never any connection to CSX. The grades between the two lines is way too steep. If you see abandoned grading near this area, its probably due to the old B&O alignment leading to the bridge.

4) The line to the dam was never "abandoned" per se, but actually destroyed. Along the lines of the previous NHRS quote, there was also an excusion ran in the late 60's by a man named Leffever. Hurricane Agnes of 1972 virtually washed out and destroyed the entire line, leaving what we see today.

5) If you're really interested... park in the town park near the lockhouse museum and start walking up river. The fall is best, because the briars are down, but the roadbed and tracks are very navigable. (Last time I was there was '99, so it may have changed) You can walk all the way up to the quarry. While you're there... climb the STEEP hill and check out the CSX bridge. THere's footers from a previous bridge. Kinda neat.

6) Head to Susquehanna state park.... Lapidum landing. There's a good view of the old canal locks and some of the road way. Take the road that leads along the river... this will bring you to Stafford. Here, there's a working grist mill and a portion of the right of way that isn't over grown. Further down... there's the biggest bridge on the line crossing deer creek. Go fishing. :)

7) If you really want the full experience, then head to the dam itself. I haven't been there since 9/11, so I don't know what kind of security measures are in effect, but you can park and almost walk all the way back to the large bridge I mentioned. Parts are very overgrown, but it will be an adventure.

Good luck!