Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned rail line through Lebanon, Pa

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#361368  by Andyt293

Recently I drove through Lebanon near Route 422 and came across an out of service rail line. Grade crossing signals have been turned 90 degrees and parts of the rail have been removed. In one area where there is now the remains of a single track, there is evidence where four or more additional tracks may have been.

Can anyone tell me the pedigree of this line and what is going on with it at this time?

#364044  by RRDude68

It is the Cornwall Branch. It used to service an iron ore facility in Cornwall, PA. Don't know if Conrail or the Reading abandoned it.

#364605  by Andyt293

Thanks, it looked like it was rather substantially built in its day.
 #383122  by Warren Thompson

Andyt293 wrote:Recently I drove through Lebanon near Route 422 and came across an out of service rail line. Grade crossing signals have been turned 90 degrees and parts of the rail have been removed. In one area where there is now the remains of a single track, there is evidence where four or more additional tracks may have been.

Can anyone tell me the pedigree of this line and what is going on with it at this time?
Yes, you crossed the former Reading-then-Conrail-NS branch to Cornwall; at one time it also served the ALCOA plant near Cornwall.

Without realizing it, given that little is left of it in Lebanon, you also crossed the former Pennsy line from Conewago Junction to Lebanon. It went out in summer 1972 as a result of washouts from Hurricane Agnes.