Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Newfoundland Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#497274  by vo1mds

Howdy folks,been awhile since i last posted,anyway i started a new website devoted to the old Trepassey railway that closed in 1932 here's the address:

http://branchlines.tripod.com/

also i have started a YAHOO GROUP dedicated to the Newfoundland Railway,which can also be located here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/N ... ndRailway/

Hope to meet some of you folks there,started this group only two days ago,so its rather ripe. hahaha...

PS: We well be starting another search of the Trepassey railway early in the spring and into the summer,keep an eye out...

all the best folks... Darrell Steele / vo1mds
 #553892  by hirailer

Did they not even keep a semblance of the line for tourist purposes?
It's amazing the true myopia of those that make decisions, they are based on short term financial thinking without nary a thought for the future. a forward thinking person or persons could make hay on running a tourist short line on "the rock", as in Europe, India and Africa the renaissance of the short line tourist railway is in full swing. Newfoundland is beautiful and has a great opportunity to capitalize on its natural attractions by offering unique tourist amenities that also provide a valuable service. A railway would provide much needed employment in its construction, after completion the spin off jobs in tourism support would be substantial providing further capital for civic infrastructure improvements.
I'm not beyond asking enough questions of the powers that be; as to why this is not a good idea that should not be implemented.
I would surmise that if such a project was suggested by an outlying part of the EU, that funds and support would be immediately offered.
In Hungary and Romania forest and agricultural railways have been upgraded to support tourist interest and that the local benefits of such action have been extraordinarily positive.
I'm not sure what railway ran the works on NFL, but for a provincial or even a federal department to allow abandonment is a grave injustice to the local population.
Just my two cents worth.