Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned loco? (Bay Colony GP9 #1701)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1259999  by Narrowgauger

GP40MC1118 wrote:Looks like the car (QTTX 13074) was set out for pickup at Medfield Jct today for CSX.

D

GP40MC,
i was there on Saturday evening and I can tell you no such car was around there and the 1701 has not turned a wheel.Unless CSX spotted the car on Monday and it was unloaded right away I saw no sign of anything moving on the Bay Colony.
 #1260132  by Cosmo

Cosmo wrote:
NHV 669 wrote:
papabarn wrote:
NHV 669 wrote:they best go after that equipment that has been sitting on the tracks just out of whitefield, nh for nearly 20 years now, if not longer.
Out of curiosity, is that the long string of cars visible on Google Earth between Hazen Rd. and the Daniel Webster Highway (U.S. 3)?
no, those are cars being stored for SLR by the NHCR. im talking about the 4 or 5 cars visible off the right side of 116 headed up the hill out of whitefield (RR south). they've been sitting there since i was around 5 or 6, and i hit a quarter century in two weeks. NHVT, who I believe owns/owned them, took care of the rest of their junk pile in the old yard across the river when they left town in the late 90's, yet left these few cars sitting there
Guys, guys- PLEASE!
This is the G&U thread, not the NHN thread! :wink:
Seems I got my threads confused as well, in name, at least. My apologies.
 #1260144  by GP40MC1118

Obviously this car got in and and out of Medfield Jct real quick.
The CSX Trace shows:
BCLR reports empty Medfield Jct 3/25
CSX B731-26 picked it up for Framinham.
Actually made Q437-26 and is already in Selkirk

D
 #1270400  by MEC407

Photo by colmat91:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=481571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1270878  by KEN PATRICK

as the photo shows, abandoned track materials. again, i state the fra needs to impose restrictions on using the row's as dumps. cars, otm , ties need to be disposed of. no railroad has need for 'stored' boxcars. in todays traffic environment, all cars are moving. 'stored' cars?no way. should be scrapped. as well as this loco. is the loco next to the boston convention center still there? if so, someone should advise the mayor to call on csxt to move it to a scrap dealer. ken patrick
 #1270900  by Narrowgauger

KEN PATRICK wrote:as the photo shows, abandoned track materials. again, i state the fra needs to impose restrictions on using the row's as dumps. cars, otm , ties need to be disposed of. no railroad has need for 'stored' boxcars. in todays traffic environment, all cars are moving. 'stored' cars?no way. should be scrapped. as well as this loco. is the loco next to the boston convention center still there? if so, someone should advise the mayor to call on csxt to move it to a scrap dealer. ken patrick

Boy! Someone needs a need tube of Preperation H. How do you know the rail wont be used? The GP-7 was used to move a load a few weeks ago. Maybe if you read the previous post you would'nt stick your foot in your mouth so often.
Ted
 #1271020  by NHV 669

KEN PATRICK wrote:as the photo shows, abandoned track materials. again, i state the fra needs to impose restrictions on using the row's as dumps. cars, otm , ties need to be disposed of. no railroad has need for 'stored' boxcars. in todays traffic environment, all cars are moving. 'stored' cars?no way. should be scrapped. as well as this loco. is the loco next to the boston convention center still there? if so, someone should advise the mayor to call on csxt to move it to a scrap dealer. ken patrick
just like the SLR and all those pesky hundreds of cars they store on THEIR property!

Oh wait, that's right, 'their' property. Do property rights, and the right of a property owner to do as they please on their OWN property simply end/stop because they bother you, ken?
 #1271272  by Cosmo

Ok, Ken, you are either the most UN-informed "industry insider" in the transportation business or you are making things up just to rile people up. Either way, your statements lack a great deal of research-based fact.
In the rail transportation business, there is ALWAYS something stored, things stockpiled, and all the cars are NEVER moving all at once. In the last 10 yrs or so, there have been more and more cars stored away for future use than ever before. Railroads are getting PAID by car owners and car leasing companies to store them! ANY TRAINS MAG READER CAN TELL YOU THIS!
Please, Ken... if you insist on being up this late, use your online time to do a little RESEARCH before you post! PLEASE!
 #1271298  by MBTA1016

Second cosmos opinion. I'm not an "industry insider" by any means but I don't stick my foot in my mouth as much as you ken. I listen to what the professionals say and don't argue with them. They do this day in and day out, they know what they are talking about and have experience to back up what they say.
 #1271376  by MEC407

I think the original question has been pretty well answered at this point. Time to give this topic a rest.