• Abandoned Line In Berkeley Township, Ocean County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by railtrailbiker

Is the abandoned line that crosses Mule Road in Holiday Heights open as a public trail, or are all of the ATV's using it with permission of the owner (a utility company?) only?

How far does the abandoned ROW extend anyway?

by Lackawanna484

Where's Holiday Heights?

by railtrailbiker

It's a section of Berkeley Township near Mule Road; an "over 55" community.

by SPUI

There are two lines in that area that cross Mule Road. The northern one parallels Route 37 and was Conrail's Toms River IT from Lakehurst. The other was part of the PRR's Camden-Bay Head line; US 9 now uses its ROW from Route 166 to the Parkway.

by railtrailbiker

The ROW I'm interested in is the old PRR line heading southwest from Mule Road.

I'm wondering how far the cleared ROW extends from the Berkeley Township area.

Thanks.

by Ken W2KB

>>are all of the ATV's using it with permission of the owner (a utility company?) only<<

Extremely unlikely that it is used with permission. (1) Most utility rights of way are easements and the utility does not have the right to convey use for non-uitility purposes, and (2) even if it is a row owned in fee, the utilities will not grant permission for fear of liability in the event of an injury to a user. Almost certain that the use is a trespass. Exception to (2) is usually limited to a governmental agency entering into an indemnification agreement for recreational use, or if the use was a condition to the utility's purchase agreement for the property.

Railroads view the issue the same as energy companies.

by JLo

Use of that ROW would most likely be tresspassing. IIRC, there are signs located off Lacey Road and Rt 537 for the same ROW saying as much. Furthermore, I believe that parts of the ROW further west are included in state park land, and ATV use is illegal in such parks.

All that said, I've mountain biked a small part of the ROW, but not near Holiday.

by LBWaveDude

I know that this trail is open between route 9 in Beachwood all the way to Ocean Gate where it ends at Barnegat Bay. Can't say about west of there.