Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned foundation along Conway Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#41530  by p&w3901

Was up in New Hampshire yesterday, waiting in vain for the Conway Scenic to come through for some pics. While I was waiting just west of fourth iron, I found a foundation right next to the track. The foundation measured about 8 by 20 feet. Any thoughts what it might be from? I wanted to look more, but then the moose came along and I made by exit......
 #42118  by p&w3901

I was on the CSRR line between Bartlett and Notchland, just west of the trestle known as fourth iron, which goes over Sawyer River. The foundation was pretty overgrown, and I only spotted it by luck.....

#43471  by Highball

:P

The foundation was most likely that of the sectionmen's carhouse, last used by the Maine Central, at Sawyer's River.

This location was the site of the Sawyer's River RR, a logging railroad that operated until about 1936. At one time, there was a station here, as well as a freight shed etc. and the line leading west, to Livermore, site of a sawmill.
 #43516  by trainsinmaine

There's a book about northern N.H.'s logging railroads, and it includes info. about the Sawyer's River. I'll check it out and post some of the info.

As for moose being dangerous: I live in moose country. Young moose (yearlings) are quite tame and somewhat approachable. They're more curious than anything else, and will let people come fairly near them (and, conversely, will come near people) without being fazed. Adults, however, are another story. Bull moose, during rutting season (mid-spring and mid-autumn), can be aggressive, as can cow moose when they're in heat or hanging out with their newborns. They can, and do, chase cars and people. As long as you stay your distance and quietly watch them, you're pretty safe. But if they perceive that you're a threat, you may find yourself in big trouble. If you're in a car, a moose may do a great deal more damage to the vehicle (and to you!) than it will do to itself. A large adult moose can weigh 1200 pounds --- and, contrary to appearances, it can run quickly and with agility.
 #43603  by p&w3901

that would make sense about Sawyer's River, since fourth iron goes over Sawyer River. I did take a ride up Sawyer River road, and found the remains of Livermore. And as for the moose, I wasn't going to take any chances on whether it was "friendly" or not, since the only thing I had with me was a camera......