Railroad Forums 

• Abandonded Stations on Existing Commuter Rail lines

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1545937  by Charliemta

dieciduej - Thank you very much for the railroad stations website. Absolutely awesome.
 #1546193  by charlesriverbranch

It's not on a commuter rail line any more, but there is a former station on the ex-B&A Highland Branch (Green Lind D branch) between Woodland and Riverside.

Has anyone mentioned the former Newton Upper Falls station on what used to be the Charles River Branch, and is now a rather useless bike trail with a dead end at both ends?
 #1546198  by BandA

[OT] The station between Woodland & Riverside on the Green Line "D" Highland Branch is the original granite Boston & Albany Woodland Station, now a deteriorating storage shed for the Woodland Golf Club. I believe the MTA wanted a parking lot so moved the station onto the opposite side of Washington St. But is Woodland in West Newton or Newton Lower Falls or Auburndale?

[OT] Upper Falls - The wooden station has been restored. According to Wikipedia Needham Line page, passenger service was discontinued in 1932.
 #1547261  by djlong

When I was taking the Lowell line every day (1987-1992), I noticed something during a breakdown. We were northbound, north of Mishawum (and north of where Anderson would be built). It just so happened that, right outside my window was a signpost, with cracked and peeling paint, white(ish) letters on an orange background that said "Dickson Depot".

Never been able to find any information on it.
 #1547262  by Aerie

When I was a little kid in the 1950s, there was still a station agent and express office at the Tufts College station on the Medford/Somerville line. A friend and I used to go down there every afternoon after school and try to get the engineers going by to blow their horns for us. Only 1 or 2 trains a day stopped at the Tufts station by that time, and even those ended when the MTA (pre-MBTA) was created (1958?). Then, when I was in graduate school in the late 1970's, the by then MBTA restored service to the Tufts College station. The old station had been torn down after a fire, but the new platforms were poured at the same location. I used to take the train into Boston every morning, but there were very few of us using the station and the restored service only lasted a short time. I remember the Monday after the blizzard of '78, an actual crowd of 25-30 developed at the Tufts station about 8:00 AM, but left for the nearby bus stop after the express from Lowell passed without stopping, not realizing that the local from Woburn would be 5 minutes behind the express and would indeed stop. Only the few regulars knew how that worked, and we kept our mouths shut knowing we wouldn't get a seat if all the people waiting boarded.
 #1549114  by Tom coughlin

During the "T" era, the South Acton station was moved from east of the RT 27 bridge to west of the bridge, as it is today. Remnants of the earlier station can be found: a repurposed express building, sections of platforms and stairs leading down to the station from the bridge. Just prior to the reconstruction of the existing station, there was some talk of using the old site for the temporary station. Stairs and a small platform were constructed but I don't believed this site was used. The temporary station was eventually built west of the current station.

People have named abandoned stations that predated the T located on existing MBTA lines. On the Franklin branch add Winslows (in Norwood), West Walpole, Highland Lake (Norfolk) and City Mills (Norfolk). There was a station in Unionville (Franklin) just east of the current Forge Park station.

On the Franklin Branch I'm not sure if Franklin Jct. was ever a stop (some members may confirm), but there was a sizable interlocking tower and freighthouse there. This was where the current Forge Park line leaves the Midland Division main line that went to Blackstone and beyond. Also, there was a branch from there to Valley Falls, RI which was abandoned in the early 1940's.

The route of the Foxboro commuter train pilot and event trains to Gillette (the Framingham Secondary), add Cedar Jct. (Walpole), South Walpole, Foxboro and Foxvale.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA