Railroad Forums 

• Abandonded Stations on Existing Commuter Rail lines

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1545270  by CSRR573

[*]Kingston, 1959 - current station is on new branch
[*]Hingham, 1959
[*]Cohasset, 1959 - current station is to the west

Both Hingham stations still stand as does Nantasket
 #1545294  by apodino

Great Discussion. I know my post had stations in the MBTA era, but I am glad to see the people mention all the pre MBTA Stations as well. There are a couple on the Fairmount Line I wanted to mention that were closed when passenger service ended in the 1940s.

Mattapan - Was located about where the current Blue Hill Ave station is.
Rugby - Was located right near the River Street bridge in what is basically the border between Hyde Park and Mattapan.
Glenwood - Was along Truman Parkway about where the Glenwood Ave foodbridge is today.
 #1545371  by blackcap

New Hampshire Main Line:
South Wilmington, Woburn, very near current Anderson RTC

Montvale (originally Stoneham Depot before the branch opened), Woburn at the end of Silk Street, west of Central St.

Western Route:
Wellington, Medford, east of Middlesex Ave. near the eastern end of Fifth Street, a half mile north of the current Orange Line station

Edgeworth, Malden, at or near Medford Street

The former Malden depot is still standing on Washington St., north of Pleasant St.

Map showing part of the area north of Boston in 1852:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 29_map.jpg
 #1545377  by ceo

The former Malden station I'm familiar with is now Pearl St Station restaurant, on Summer St just north of the current Malden Center station. Decent enough place by Malden standards (I used to work across the street).
Last edited by CRail on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1545384  by Rockingham Racer

The EGE wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:13 am Seems to me I used to see a station in Lawrence from the S Union St. overpass. It would have been just about where the Frost interlocking plant is.
The nearest station to the east of South Union Street (towards FROST) was North Andover, but that wouldn't have been visible. (Both the heavily modified station building and the 1840-built freight house on the original alignment are still there.) Are you thinking of the pre-2004 Lawrence station, which is visible to the west?
No, not the current station. This was back in the 50's.

I do not think anyone has put Oak Grove up as a long-gone station.
 #1545386  by arthur d.

The EGE wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm
arthur d. wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:42 am There was one in Haverhill, almost to Plaistow, Rosemont?
There used to be two stops between Haverhill and Plaistow. Rosemont (station building still intact) had only two daily round trips by 1946, and closed before the MBTA era. Atkinson (at NH-121 just feet north of the state line) lasted until the Dover round trip was cut in 1967.
Combing the ETT's, we see that at one time there were three stops between Haverhill; Rosemont, Atkinson. and Westville, roughly a mile south of Plaistow, it hung on as a flag stop until 1959, and was still listed until 1961.
 #1545439  by jbvb

Ed, that's "United Shoe Machinery Works" in Beverly.

In the 1960s, my father used the Forbes stop sometimes, when a book he was working on was being printed there.

In 1959 a few trains still stopped at West Lynn. East Lynn is in the ETT but no stops. By 30-Apr-61, West Lynn is a 'j' note for trains stopping at the River Works grade crossing.
 #1545488  by The EGE

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:25 pm There is a former station still extant on Park St. in Medford, and another in Wakefield (57 Water Street, now a diner); not sure when these last saw a train. Track is gone at both places.
Park Street lost service in October 1957 when the Medford Branch was cut. Wakefield Center lost service with the Danvers Branch cut in June 1959.
 #1545584  by Arborwayfan

Some steps and a very old light pole from Mt. Hope station were visible on the north side of tracks east of the bridge in the early 1990s. They were on the slope -- steps, after all -- in among some trees. I assume they were destroyed when the house or building that is there now was built, but I think it's interesting to realize that parts of that station lasted 15 years or more after it was closed.
 #1545666  by Charliemta

I remember seeing the Mt. Hope station in Roslindale around 1960. It was just a small stop at that time. There was a large station there before my time.
 #1545898  by dieciduej

A funny thing happened at the bus stop today, for some reason I Googled Glenwood Station Medford and found a good site for info. I live 4 blocks from what would have been the Glenwood Station on the Medford Branch, I knew where it was but didn't know what it looked like. I found this sight for Nashua City Station Railroad History1:

http://www.nashuacitystation.org/station/

Photos of the stations and a Google Map of approximate location. I hope it helps.

A quick question on the Medford Branch, what was its official last day for commuter service? Thanks.