Railroad Forums 

• A WN&P division "what-if"

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1120250  by MEC407

Any updates on this project? :)
 #1120448  by Piyer

MEC407 wrote:Any updates on this project? :)
Yes, actually. After being distracted for most of the year by my mom's health scare (she is much improved now), I'm finally able to focus on the layout again. I just finished reading George Baker's "Formation of the New England Railroad Systems" last night, and there is definitely enough twists and turns in the history of the region to support the theory of my "what-if" scenario. The book also helped to understand the motivations for where and why lines were built, leased, and consolidated. The next step for me is to work out the how and why part of its history and figure out which lines will become its feeders.

As for the layout, mom's illness also put the brakes on that too, and that might have been for the best. I've partially disassembled what I had built at the start of the year (a 3'x6' board), and now I'm rethinking the layout for 6x12 foot space in the living room. I want to finish designing my railroad before I start designing the layout, but I've started to form up my given-n-druthers form. Pity John Armstrong is no longer with us.
 #1223200  by Engineer Spike

I forgot about the Canal going north of the B&A ( even though I grew up along it).

Didn't the MEC control the Eastern for a while? I'll have to look it up in The Rail Lines of Brother New England.
 #1223367  by edbear

The Eastern had control of the Maine Central and was in control when the B & M leased the Eastern.