Railroad Forums 

• A vertical lift drawbridge question - B&O, CNJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#104401  by The Rising

Hello all,

I have a quick question for anyone out there that is interested in the obscure.

I was over in Staten Island this past weekend to check on progress of the SIR rehabilitation. I was asked a question about the various RR vertical lift drawbridges both past and present. While I know some of the statistics regarding AK, I couldn't answer any of the CNJ Newark Bay drawbridge questions thrown my way.

B&O "AK Draw"

Length of lift span - 558 feet

I'd like to know the -

Height above water (lowered)
Height above water (raised)

By way of comparison, does anybody know the following information about the now removed CNJ Newark Bay draw further north

Length of lift spans (all 4 of them)
Height above water (lowered)
Height above water (raised)

Since this thread has a "statistics" thread, If anybody knows any of the other bridges statistics, I'd love to hear them.

See you all later......

#104708  by snavely

According to the 1975 navigation chart:

AK Horizontal clearance 500 feet Vertical clearance 31 feet down, 135 feet up.

Newark Bay: Horizontal clearance west draw 216 feet east draw 134 feet
Vertical clearance 35 feet closed 135 feet open
Overhead power cable authorized vertical clearance 188 ft.
 #128715  by steve coraggio

When the bridge becomes operational in the future get a new copy of the nautical chart for the Arthur Kill, I don't know the chart number off the topof my head. The vertical and horizontal clearnaces will be listed. I don't know if they have changed from the previous information form a 1975 chart. Nautical charts change periodically for a lot of reasons and new ones are normally printed with the up to date corrections. It will be nice to that bridge operational again. Last year in one issue of Railroad Model Craftsmans there was an article about the AK Bridge the one in place now has been there since 1959, prior to that time there was a swing bridge. The Lehigh Valley Lift Bridge which parallel the Newark Bay Extension of the NJ Turnpike gets used and is opened for marine traffic.
again looking on nautical chart # 12327 will show thsi bridge and its clearances. steve coraggio