Railroad Forums 

• A "Safe Haven" No More

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1589635  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, there goes the notion that Amtrak trains are a "safe haven" from violent crime:

TV Station KCTV

Fair Use:
INDEPENDENCE, MO (KCTV) — One person is dead following a shooting on a train, according to Independence police.

The shooting happened late Friday evening.

The body was found when the train stopped at the Amtrak location on Pacific Avenue in Independence
 #1589684  by Greg Moore

What notion of safe haven is that? This is far from the first such incident on an Amtrak train.
 #1589686  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Moore, I kmow of the Naperville incident, which occurred on the station platform. If others, to me it appears the parties in intetest have been able to "keep 'em on the QT".
 #1589693  by scratchyX1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:26 pm Well, there goes the notion that Amtrak trains are a "safe haven" from violent crime:

TV Station KCTV

Fair Use:
INDEPENDENCE, MO (KCTV) — One person is dead following a shooting on a train, according to Independence police.

The body was found when the train stopped at the Amtrak location on Pacific Avenue in Independence
We still don't know if the shooter and victim knew each other.
Plus, statistically, it's still safe.
 #1589711  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:26 pm Well, there goes the notion that Amtrak trains are a "safe haven" from violent crime:

TV Station KCTV

Fair Use:

You forgot about this one, posted Oct 4, 2021: https://www.npr.org/2021/10/04/10431888 ... a-shooting
A Drug Enforcement Administration special agent was killed Monday when a passenger, who also died, opened fire as officers were doing a routine inspection for illegal contraband on an Amtrak train in Tucson, Arizona, authorities said. A second agent and a Tucson police officer were wounded.
We talked about it back then too...
 #1589754  by Gilbert B Norman

Ok, I stand corrected insofar as Tucson. It appears I was mistaken when I thought that incident occurred on the station platform in a manner like Naperville.

Finally, I accept Mr. Scratchy's point; Amtrak trains are relatively safe from violent crime and did not mean to infer that they were down at the level of municipal mass transit.