Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1339977  by NeoArashi

I know about their 50% and 100% discounts on late trains, but what happens if the late train makes you miss a flight, bus ride, or even another train?

For example, I bought a Sanmaur-Montreal ticket for august 2nd. And unlike my other trips involving Montreal, I plan on leaving there by buss right after to get back home. Now, the Montreal-Senneterre is notorious for being the among the latest train in the province of Quebec (Alongside the Jonquierre-Montreal, obviously) so what happens if it's so late I miss the last bus ride back to Quebec City?

Do VIA offer compentation for this kind of situations?
 #1340061  by NS VIA FAN

VIA no longer offers late train credits for the Senneterre and Jonquiere trains....and even when they did, the credit had to be used on a future VIA trip.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/cond ... vel-credit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess you could plead you case but I don’t think they are going to offer you compensation for missing a bus. Plus you’ve already said “Montreal-Senneterre is notorious for being the among the latest train in the province of Quebec”

So make other plans just in case....then be pleasantly surprised if you do make your connection!
 #1340211  by NeoArashi

Thing is, in the province of Quebec, there's this "Constructions vacations" going on meaning and during this time, lots of hotel room are booked (I know, I work in a hotel in Quebec city). If miss my bus, I'll have to go at a hotel, generating extra cost. In the case that I book a room and I end up not missing my bus ride, I'll still have to pay for the room (cancelation policy) and if I DON'T book a room, I'll end up either having no room available, or risk having to pay hundreads of $ just to sleep for 7 hours. Montreal hoten aren't cheap, unless you sleep in a ruin or youth hostel. Lol.

Oh well, guess I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info.