Railroad Forums 

• A question about plowing snow on the Susie Q

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1314058  by Snowmojoe

The weather people are saying we could be due here in Bergen county for quite a storm Monday into Tuesday. I've heard anywhere from 3-5. to 1-2 feet. Which probably means it will rain all day. But, if let's just say we get the apocalyptic end of that scale: 2 feet of snow. How does the railroad handle huge amounts of snow like that? Would they ever break out the big plow that sits down in Ridgefield Park?
 #1314186  by Steve F45

If we get 2 feet of snow, there is probably a good chance the plow is coming out. Last February 13th we got i think 16-20 inches of snow and it was brought out. Im wondering how much the line will be covered by tuesday morning as the SU99 will go west Monday night in the height of it, so it will cut down on the amount of snow on the rails. However the storm is supposed to be sllow moving so its not over till roughly tuesday night. By then the SU100 will be on its way to Jersey so it may clear enough snow. But if its still high between the rails they could bring out the plow to use it as a flanger to clear the snow between teh rails. Either way, I hope it doesn't get called till Wednesday this way I can finally see it in action. I missed it last year.
 #1314358  by Snowmojoe

I hate to root against you but it looks like the chances I'll be going to work tomorrow are small, so I am hoping to see it tomorrow.
 #1314543  by Snowmojoe

And I am at work after all anyway, so it is all for naught either way. Good to know it does make the rounds though; I've wondered about that for a while.