Railroad Forums 

• A Potential Forum Name Change?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#226817  by NW_611

Check out guilfordrail.com for a bit of a makeover.

Pan Am didn't make it in the air, so maybe they'll give it a go on the rails. Heh heh heh.

#226958  by MEC407

"Come ride the friendly rails!"

It's an interesting turn of events. I had a feeling this would happen eventually. Putting the name "Pan Am Railways" on the boxcars was certainly an indicator, and recent press releases from NorthPoint have referred to the parent company as "Pan Am Rail System."

#226977  by NW_611

Even though it probably borders on heresy---they're international, not domestic!---to say so, I had always hoped that Pan Am would make a comeback. However, it's pretty safe to say that I never contemplated Pan Am as a railway. Perhaps the Clipper Timothy Mellon will be gracing the rails in the near future? :P

I'd seen a single Pan Am boxcar from afar in Virginia, but I didn't know they said anything about "Pan Am Railways", even with the shot in Trains a while back.

I suppose we sit back and enjoy the ride; I think someone's already drawn up a theoretical locomotive livery, so this ought to be like you said, interesting.

#226988  by MEC407

The "new" Pan Am boxcars have Pan Am Railways on one side, and just Pan Am on the other side. Here's a photo:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=308348

#227011  by peterw

Nice pic. It didn't take long for graffiti artists though did it?

#227180  by CN9634

so what kind of scheme do you think is behind this, if any.

#227187  by bwparker1

It would be nice if they could provide more up to date system maps than the B&M and MEC maps from the Early 1900's but that is Guilford, errr, Pan Am Railways for you :)

#227192  by b&m 1566

What's the likely hood of Guilford changing the name to Pan Am Railways on their motive power; and repainting them like their box cars?

#227253  by sery2831

I want to know if the name for the Train Operation Managers are going to change to 'ground controllers'??? heh :-)

#227269  by MEC407

b&m 1566 wrote:What's the likely hood of Guilford changing the name to Pan Am Railways on their motive power; and repainting them like their box cars?
Well... considering that they've renamed their boxcars, and now they're renaming their web site, it stands to reason that they'll probably rename their locomotives at some point as well. Otherwise, what's the point?
 #227504  by bwparker1

From GuilfordRailSightings Digest:

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:48:52 -0000
Subject: Re: Pan Am

With Guilford revamping its website to reflect Pan Am
Railways, I can't help but wonder about Pan Am.

I just recieved a phone call from a friend that it's official. Pan
American Railways, Inc. is in and Guilford is out! I'm told Guilford
no longer exists, everything is Pan Am Railways!
I'm told that some employees met w/ officials from N. Billrica and
had a meeting about the new corporate image. Does anybody else know
about this announcement! I'm also told things will get intresting!

Marty

#227588  by Cowford

wacky... absolutely wacky.

#227640  by MEC407

That's a funky looking 727... :wink:

#227692  by wolfmom69

Some of the older GP-40's have Conrail blue underneath their cheaply slapped on "Guilford Gray",so they already have a "start" on the blue scheme!!!

Bud :P