Railroad Forums 

• A Potential Forum Name Change?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#228512  by MEC407

They defy logic in so many ways. Always have, probably always will. Nature of the the Big G Beast, I guess. :wink:

#228839  by murray83

hmm does the name change mean that they'd be re-hireing the employees through pan am? can u say "non union"?lol :wink: hence no longer useing "mec" or "bm" on the cabs hmm just a thought

this just screams at me a way to get out of back taxes for guilford through the states and citys useing a fresh start and file guilford as bankrupt

#228841  by MEC407

I believe that scenario would require, at the very least, STB approval.

#228882  by b&m 1566

Does anyone know if the motive power will still have MEC and BM markings on them "If" they do get repainted? I know a few of their box cars have Maine Central and Boston and Maine markings on them along with the Pan Am Railways written on them as well.

#228911  by MEC407

I assume they would have to, since Pan Am Railways is not a real railroad or railway -- just a marketing name. That could change, theoretically, but would be a long process and would again require STB approval.

#229208  by mick

[quote="murray83"]
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

#230529  by mainecentral

Well......if they DO repaint thier motive power, at least we won't have to see Guilford Grey and Orange anymore. By the way, who was smoking WHAT when they looked at paint swatches, anyway???!!
.......In my best Tommy Chong voice........ "Hey, Man, let's paint them Black and Red, but we'll CALL it Grey and Orange....... Can I have another puff of that?"

I think they shoud paint B&M locos in thier Blue with White scheme with "Pan-Am Railways" on the sides, and they shoud paint the MEC locos in thier Harvest Gold and Pine Green scheme with "Pan-Am Railways" overlying the Pan-Am Globe logo on the cab sides where the round MEC Pine Tree logos were on thier units. BUT, I most certainly will NOT hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

I guess could live with Pan Am Railways, I lived through Guilford.

Well at least for now the B&M and the MEC still exist, even if it is only on paper.

#230678  by b&m 1566

The BM and MEC colors are gone for good and in most cases so aren't the names. The only reason Guilford..... Oh wait “Pan Am Railways” still has the two names hanging around seems to be for legal purposes more or less. Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Gray and Orange but I will miss the big G on the engines and for those BM fans out there; well in some ways the BM color is coming back. People need to get over the Harvest Gold and Green and the Blue and White; the colors are not coming back. By the way the Maroon and Gold was the best paint scheme both railroads ever had anyways.
 #230709  by Jonny Bolt

bwparker1 wrote:I have to weigh in on Pan Am Railways:

1) If I was seriously doing that, I would buy the domain http:www.panamrailways.com, which they have not seemed to have done.

They are weird, plain and simple. There is no way around it.

BWP
I dont know much about what is goin on with Gillfid, but I know a few things lol....

1.) As far as panamrailways.com goes....

Registrant:
Guilford Rail System
IRON HORSE PARK, HIGH STREET
NORTH BILLERICA, MA 01862
US

Domain Name: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Guilford Rail System [email protected]
IRON HORSE PARK, HIGH STREET
NORTH BILLERICA, MA 01862
US
978-663-1078 fax: 978-663-1152

Record expires on 24-Mar-2007.
Record created on 24-Mar-2006.
Database last updated on 31-Mar-2006 02:52:56 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS95.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.48
NS96.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.189.48

2.) In Hampton, they are about to begin rebuilding the bridge over the old B&M Eastern Route on Exeter Rd. (Rte. 27). Construction starts in a few weeks. The bridge was so dilapitated, that our town's fire engines have not even been allowed to go over it for several months now. I am curious to see how they will deal with Gillfid coming down this Hampton Branch to Foss Manufacturing (which is the only customer left in the Hampton area). Although Gillfid only comes down to deliver the little pellets in those covered hopper (maybe they arent hoppers) cars every week or 2, maybe less, its still a tight squeeze under there.

3.) The State has posted orange construction warning signs in each direction a few miles from the bridge to warn people of the coming repairs, because the road will be closed. On the signs, it reads "....Construction on the bridge over B&M railroad.....", which I find cool. It'll always be B&M baby!

4.) Even though Hampton rail activity is all but dead, and the line South of Foss is abandoned, B&M IS STILL THE BEST RAILROAD EVER! :-D

I have always like the names of the local stuff, B&M, Springfield Terminal, Maine Central......it was all once a big happy family. I even like the sounds of "Guilford Rail System", or maybe I just like the sound of "(anything) Rail System" lol. But man, Gillfid really is a messed up entity.

I wish they would bring it all back, and rebuild the Eastern Route :(

And if they rid of the B&M, MC, and ST tags, we should run them out!!!!!!!

#231030  by DaveP

mainecentral wrote:Well......if they DO repaint thier motive power, at least we won't have to see Guilford Grey and Orange anymore.
I guess could live with Pan Am Railways, I lived through Guilford.
If you say? http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... 728201.jpg

#231084  by murray83

nice photo shop job lol its clearly a emd leaser loco with a bad photoshop job :wink:

#231100  by MEC407

DaveP wrote:http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... 728201.jpg
April 1 is always such an entertaining day... :wink:

Not a bad effort on the part of the person who made that, though.

Here is another take on what the first Pan Am unit might look like (purely speculative):

(click thumbnail to see full-size version)

#231167  by ferroequinarchaeologist

MEC407 wrote: >>They defy logic in so many ways

Not at all. I am firmly in the camp of Guilford-as-Real-Estate-company, and I just came across this quote from the current issue of Trains. The speaker is a CSX rep, explaining why CSX holds onto ownership of rights of way where it has no intention of ever running a train:

"Property values have exceeded business values ... It pays in certain cases to hold onto property, but not operate it."

Excuse me while I go quietly off and feel vindicated :wink:

PBM

#231173  by Cowford

so... buying a defunct airline, pouring millions into it, and then running it into the ground was really all part of this real estate play. Wow! Why didn't I see that! :P
 #231181  by MEC407

ferroequinarchaeologist wrote:MEC407 wrote: >>They defy logic in so many ways

Not at all. I am firmly in the camp of Guilford-as-Real-Estate-company, and I just came across this quote from the current issue of Trains. The speaker is a CSX rep, explaining why CSX holds onto ownership of rights of way where it has no intention of ever running a train:

"Property values have exceeded business values ... It pays in certain cases to hold onto property, but not operate it."

Excuse me while I go quietly off and feel vindicated :wink:

PBM
That may be true, but in Guilford's case, they generally don't hold onto properties that they have no intention of operating -- for instance: Calais Branch; Rockland Branch; Mountain Division; many other properties.