Railroad Forums 

• A new customer for the M&E

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#100530  by njt4172

Just heard from the NJ Railroad forum that Morristown & Erie will be getting a new customer on the old Chester Branch. Apparently Kuiken's new lumber yard will be moving from Emerson, NJ to the old Wick's Lumber site in Roxbury. I don't know when this will take place, but when it does M&E will have to cross Route 10 again to access the old lumber yard.....Anyone know any more information on when this will occur??

Thanks,
Steve

#100675  by Al Holleuffer

Hmm, that's the first I heard about that. I'll have to ask my contacts about that. I do know they have a new customer on the Dover & Rockaway Br. A food distribution outfit has moved into the former Joyce Moldings plant. First cars are reportedly enroute already.

#100720  by njt4172

Al Holleuffer wrote:Hmm, that's the first I heard about that. I'll have to ask my contacts about that. I do know they have a new customer on the Dover & Rockaway Br. A food distribution outfit has moved into the former Joyce Moldings plant. First cars are reportedly enroute already.
I am assuming the food distribution plant will get boxcars???

Thanks,
Steve

#100735  by Greg

That would be DaVinci Foods, the company I mentioned back in December.

Steve,

I would assume they would be only getting boxcars as they deal with restaurant supplies only and not with larger institutional establishments and their needs.

#100745  by Scrap The U34CH

Anyone know anything about the covered hoppers that were being unloaded to trucks on the team track on Jefferson Rd.? They unloaded a bunch of them about a year ago and the track was even rebuilt beforehand. I haven't seen any there in a while and the track now has a 1\2 scrapped Alco on it.

#100843  by njt4172

Scrap The U34CH wrote:Anyone know anything about the covered hoppers that were being unloaded to trucks on the team track on Jefferson Rd.? They unloaded a bunch of them about a year ago and the track was even rebuilt beforehand. I haven't seen any there in a while and the track now has a 1\2 scrapped Alco on it.
Yeah, there haven't been covered hoppers there in over a year or so....I believe there is a team track on the D&R off Franklin Road in Rockaway where they sometimes store covered hoppers now....

Steve

#101131  by Angus202

As of last week, there were ~15 hoppers parked on the high bridge "main" right after ferromonte jct. (where the kenvil scale track serves as a passing siding). A truck was just setting up to start unloading one while I was over there.
84 Lumber on greenpond rd. has also had a steady flow of inbound cars and fewer truck shipments... always good.
Can anyone tell me if the former molding plant is on Greenpond rd. or if it's the one large building that faces fords rd.?

-Ryan

#101232  by njt4172

Well, when the gas prices skyrocket to $2.50 a gallon this Summer expect more companies to start switching from truck to rail.....

steve

#101312  by Al Holleuffer

I've had a couple of M&E Engineers riding with me the past couple of weeks qualifying parts of NJT so I've gotten some updates from them.

The customer that was using the Team Track at S. Jefferson Rd. has moved out so nothing is going on there currently. A new bulk transfer operation is now located on the former High Bridge Branch at Berkshire Valley Rd. which accounts for the hoppers spotted there. The cars are left on the former main track so the trucks can pull alongside the hoppers to hook up and the train uses the old scale track to get around them. DaVinci Foods is the new firm that moved into the former Joyce Mouldings co. building on Green Pond Rd. They will be getting shipments in boxcars so this along with the flats and boxes for 84 will add some variety to the D&R trains. Reportedly the first cars are enroute already.

Today I saw the longest string of inbound cars for the M&E that I've seen in quite a while. The line stretched more than halfway up to Bershire Valley Rd. from the Horn Track switch. There must have been over 30 cars, mostly boxes. as I went by on 871 this morning. The M&E crew was just coming west to Chester Jct. with several empty tankers as I came back east on 1020. Returning on 1021 I could see the hind end of a long string they were pulling as they headed down the Chester branch.

#101535  by njt4172

Al Holleuffer wrote:I've had a couple of M&E Engineers riding with me the past couple of weeks qualifying parts of NJT so I've gotten some updates from them.

The customer that was using the Team Track at S. Jefferson Rd. has moved out so nothing is going on there currently. A new bulk transfer operation is now located on the former High Bridge Branch at Berkshire Valley Rd. which accounts for the hoppers spotted there. The cars are left on the former main track so the trucks can pull alongside the hoppers to hook up and the train uses the old scale track to get around them. DaVinci Foods is the new firm that moved into the former Joyce Mouldings co. building on Green Pond Rd. They will be getting shipments in boxcars so this along with the flats and boxes for 84 will add some variety to the D&R trains. Reportedly the first cars are enroute already.

Today I saw the longest string of inbound cars for the M&E that I've seen in quite a while. The line stretched more than halfway up to Bershire Valley Rd. from the Horn Track switch. There must have been over 30 cars, mostly boxes. as I went by on 871 this morning. The M&E crew was just coming west to Chester Jct. with several empty tankers as I came back east on 1020. Returning on 1021 I could see the hind end of a long string they were pulling as they headed down the Chester branch.

Thanks for the updates Al.....Still no idea when Kuiken's lumber yard will be moving to Roxbury along the Chester Branch????

Thanks,
Steve

#246245  by njt4172

Kukiens is moving ahead with their distribution facility along the Chester Branch. Went by there last Friday and they were digging up some dirt along
Route 10 by the crossing... I would say they should start receiving rail service sometime by the end of the summer..!.

#246334  by Luther Brefo

njt4172 wrote:Well, when the gas prices skyrocket to $2.50 a gallon this Summer expect more companies to start switching from truck to rail.....

steve
No harm meant but...

Most trucks run on diesel...
:wink:

#246338  by njt4172

lutherkb wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Well, when the gas prices skyrocket to $2.50 a gallon this Summer expect more companies to start switching from truck to rail.....

steve
No harm meant but...

lutherk,

You are responding to something I wrote over 1 year ago!! Diesel fuel has been going up too you know!

#246343  by Luther Brefo

njt4172 wrote:
lutherkb wrote:

steve
No harm meant but...

lutherk,

You are responding to something I wrote over 1 year ago!! Diesel fuel has been going up too you know!
I've become more interested in the M&E over the last year and as such I'm currently playing catch-up in learning what they are all about as well as what they are up to.

And you are right, diesel fuel is going up as well but locomotives also run on diesel fuel although locomotives are more effiecient for this sort of thing anyways.

#246350  by NYSW13000

lutherkb wrote:
njt4172 wrote:
lutherkb wrote:

steve
No harm meant but...

lutherk,

I've become more interested in the M&E over the last year and as such I'm currently playing catch-up in learning what they are all about as well as what they are up to.

And you are right, diesel fuel is going up as well but locomotives also run on diesel fuel although locomotives are more effiecient for this sort of thing anyways.
Luther, we are not all idiots, most of us know locomotives run on diesel fuel, not gas. I am surprised you knew that, from how long you have been hiding in the closet...I would of thought that you would think we still use steam power.

PS- Keep up with reading. :-D