Railroad Forums 

• A couple of questions about the B&A

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#178187  by Rockingham Racer

I know there was discussion about the Brookfield auto facility, but I can't find it. Can someone knowledgeable tell me if the lead to the auto facility comes off the controlled siding, or the main? North side? South side?

How is that operation going these days? Still fouling the main?

Also, K295: is that garbage from Boston?
 #178288  by CSX Conductor

Rockingham Racer wrote: Can someone knowledgeable tell me if the lead to the auto facility comes off the controlled siding, or the main? North side? South side?
The switch for the East Brookfield & Spencer Railroad is a trailing point switch when headin west, off of the Controlled Siding, which is the northern of the two tracks. Prior to the development of the auto site (and elimination of quite a few union postions thanks to the scabs)and CP-60, the northern track was the Main and the southern of the two was the Controlled Siding. After the implementation of the auto site and CP-60 the two were reversed name-wise.
Rockingham Racer wrote:How is that operation going these days? Still fouling the main?
It still isn't working as well as they planned. The company's dream was that East Brookfield would be able to handle as much volume as both the CP Yard in Holliston/Framingham and the Westborough facility, but it is far from being able to keep up. As for size it is bigger in every aspect except for one of the most important, unloading areas. The EB&S only has 5, maybe 6 tracks for it's unloading facility, and I believe they can only fit about 6 racks per track. Westborough was 6 tracks, but could hold about 10 to 12 racks per track. CP Yard had only 4 tracks but each could hold about 10 racks per track. There were also 2 other tracks that could be used in the CP Yard if needed.
Rockingham Racer wrote:Also, K295: is that garbage from Boston?
From what I have seen in the computer, K295 is not a regular train, but to answer your question, yes it is a trash train which originates in Beacon Park. Supposedly the people who do the trash at Beacon Park approached CSX a couple years ago and tried to get the railroad to give them a dedicated train six or seven days a week, but the powers at be didn't want to. Instead the trash continued to be put on Q421. The trash/recycling market is one of the biggest money makers nowadays, perhaps the decision makers at CSXT will realize that it may be worth giving the trash guy his own train (and maybe pick-up the trash out of West Springfield also). :wink:
 #178314  by NYNE

It's been my experience that that "trash train" passes through Spencer State Forest (between MP 60-61) every day sometime between noon and 2 p.m. I have more photos of the trash train than any other train CSX runs I think. This is just based on observation and no inside information. While it may not officially be a "dedicated" trash train a lot of days it sure looks like it.

#178511  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks to CSX Conductor. I knew you'd come through with the answer!

So now we have a CP 60. Am I to understand that a crossover or a pair of crossovers have put there as well?

#178551  by CSX Engineer 98

It is a universal CP point, you can get to either track in any direction. Those Dopes at the Brookfield and spencer RR Have opened up the Switch on 2 given times without permision from the "NA dispatcher" It is a potential disaster in the Making........ I can also see there train getting away from them while they are switching a cut of racks and Sailing through CP 64 into an on comming eastbound..... :( Just hope Im not on the receiving end of that one!!!!