Railroad Forums 

• 9/18/04 Delaware River Flooding

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#53969  by JLo

The Delaware was already over flood stage at 6 p.m. tonight and is predicted to go at or above the Jan 96 Flood stage. Reports are that evacuations along the Delaware in Belvedere and other spots have begun. I saw for myself that River Road west of Harmony was already submerged at 6:30.

I noticed a two engines and a long string of hopper cars at Phillipsburg. Anyone have any idea if this train is at risk? I don't recall how high the 96 flood was along the Delaware.
 #54028  by sullivan1985

JLo wrote:The Delaware was already over flood stage at 6 p.m. tonight and is predicted to go at or above the Jan 96 Flood stage. Reports are that evacuations along the Delaware in Belvedere and other spots have begun. I saw for myself that River Road west of Harmony was already submerged at 6:30.

I noticed a two engines and a long string of hopper cars at Phillipsburg. Anyone have any idea if this train is at risk? I don't recall how high the 96 flood was along the Delaware.
I have a campsite in Matamorris PA (about 5 min from Port Jervis) and my father went up to check it out and he says the delaware is about 15 ft higher and the river is reaching far over its banks. Any body know if Port Jervis Yard is ok along with Philipsburg?

#54369  by Ken W2KB

It was about 5 or 6 feet below the railroad track level at P'burg yesterday mid-afternoon and I believe that was as high a crest as expected there. The water was hitting the lower steelwork of the ex-CNJ bridge at that level. The RR was not in any imminent danger, and should be unharmed.

#54404  by njt5140

If the water was that high, then I expect the Bel-Del to be out of service for a while! Keep in mind too the NYS&W 142 consist is scheduled to move to Dunellen Yard some time next week. I just hope nothing got damaged there.

#54589  by Ken W2KB

I suspect it may not have reached the Bel Del between P'Burg and the quarry (that's where the consist is?). It would have to have come up 5 or 6 more feet to get to the Bel Del level at the NS junction as well as the station built for the 142 and Turtle excursions. So probably all is well. Hopefully . . .