Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1332230  by NaugyRR

runningwithscalpels wrote:The High Line at the Yards expansion ends right around the corner from the station...plus affords some great lazy railfanning views of LIRR ;)
Did they finally finish the expansion? That'll be nice; better than watching the LIRR while standing next to garbage trucks on 11th Avenue, haha.
 #1334466  by GirlOnTheTrain

Opening day is a-coming...although I don't think an actual revenue service date has been announced. I don't think you'd train operating crews, dispatchers, and tower operators on the extension unless opening was imminent though!

MTA Begins Training Employees On No. 7 Line Extension
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has begun training subway workers on routing and operating trains on the No. 7 subway line extension to Manhattan’s far west side. The new 1.5-mile stretch is set to open this summer. Trains have begun rolling to West 34th Street and 11th Avenue to make sure subway crews are comfortable with the extension, WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell reported.
This article is worth a read - it has a couple of decent videos to watch too.
 #1334797  by Jeff Smith

runningwithscalpels wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:Wow, the outside looks really nice. Last time I was there was October(I think?) and it still had the privacy wall around it. It'll be a lot nicer getting back to GCT from the Intrepid and the Walkway now than hoofin' it over 42nd Street.
There was a gaping hole in the fence for me to stick my camera through. It's still all blocked off and whatnot from street access.
So where's the picture? ;-)
 #1336615  by Kurt

On Saturday 6/20/15 it looked like some type of testing of trains on the extension was occurring. I saw a full set of R-188 entering the the extension at Times Square around 8 am. I was too slow to get the camera out of the bag.
 #1341091  by GirlOnTheTrain

Better late (by a week) than never? ;) http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/new ... nsion.html
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has finally set a target date for the opening of the long-delayed 7 train extension to 34th Street.

That date is just under two years later than originally planned.

The extension to the new Hudson Yards station is set to open by September 13.

The MTA made that announcement Monday.
 #1341747  by Gerry6309

naugatroll wrote:Better late (by a week) than never? ;) http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/new ... nsion.html
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has finally set a target date for the opening of the long-delayed 7 train extension to 34th Street.

That date is just under two years later than originally planned.

The extension to the new Hudson Yards station is set to open by September 13.

The MTA made that announcement Monday.
Still doing far better than the Second Avenue Subway... "Don't worry that we are closing the 3rd Av El. The SAS will soon open to replace it."
 #1346012  by GirlOnTheTrain

It's official - the 7 line extension will be seeing revenue service in slightly over two weeks according to the MTA.

Also check out the rendering on Second Avenue Sagas' article about it. Who knew R46s fit on the 7? ;)
After promising to open the new one-stop extension of the 7 line to the Far West Side by September 13, the MTA made it officially official today: The 34th Street-Hudson Yards stop will open for service at 1 p.m. on Sunday, September 13. The first train in revenue service to arrive at the new station will be the 12:26 out of Flushing, coming in at 1:03 p.m., and the first to leave the station is scheduled to depart at 1:07 p.m.
So there you have it - times of first revenue runs and everything. Chase away...
 #1347549  by Hamilton Express

I am finally happy that the MTA is opening up the (7) train extension after 2 years of delays. Let's just hope there aren't misbehaving railfans like what happened with the R32 (R) train last year... <_<
 #1347667  by GirlOnTheTrain

Hamilton Express wrote:I am finally happy that the MTA is opening up the (7) train extension after 2 years of delays. Let's just hope there aren't misbehaving railfans like what happened with the R32 (R) train last year... <_<
Don't hold your breath, we'll need to revive you...
 #1348151  by R36 Combine Coach

From the January 2008 ERA Bulletin: on page 20 (back page) is a small story on the groundbreaking of the 7 Extension on December 3, 2007. Slated for completion in 2012, the project is now about three years behind schedule. Delayed to December 2013 (though outgoing Mayor Bloomberg did have a tour with media in the incomplete station shell), then June 2014, late 2014, spring 2015 and now late summer 2015.
 #1348318  by Hamilton Express

Alright guys, opening day is today. Here a few tips if you are planning to attend this event.

Be considerate to other passengers. Non railfans are attending this too.
Don't fight for the RFW if it's an R62A. Share it.
Have fun. :-D

Have a fun time and be safe.