Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1412722  by Roadgeek Adam

So, in June 2014, I posted this thread for my first experience in Chicago. Since then, I have photographed 232 Metra stations (will wrap up next week, if all goes right!) and have been left with some questions based on my experience the last year and a half.

A) Why the hell does Halsted/UIC exist as a station, much less a safety hazard for hundreds of trains with easy accessibility to tracks? And if one platform is out of service (the one I ended up climbing the stairs of!) like signs say, why are those stairs open?

B) I know the 67th Street Tower is next to the old platforms (and is closed), but why do the 67th Street platforms still exist if there's no purpose to them?

I've searched the forum before asking but could not find answers.
 #1412862  by justalurker66

Roadgeek Adam wrote:B) I know the 67th Street Tower is next to the old platforms (and is closed), but why do the 67th Street platforms still exist if there's no purpose to them?
I believe the 67th St platforms are used for transfers between main line trains and South Chicago shuttles.