Railroad Forums 

• #432 & southbound consist sitting in Avon 11/17/06

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#321535  by railwatcher

This evening when I returned home I found that the southbound train that I had viewed at Mortimer junction while working was at 7pm sitting parked at the Avon yard on the Main. #432 was separated from the train and idling, while the lead engine #425 seems to have left for Lakeville. The rest of the train is sitting back just past the station (bar) and the yard has cars parked in it. The south end of the yards three tracks were emptied out this morning by the northbound train after the Kraft drops.
So the question is.....why are they sitting here?

Greg

#321559  by Luther Brefo

I imagine it was left idling so as to keep it from gettng cold which would be worse than burning the fuel.

7 PM is awful late and is getting close to the hour of outlaw so the train may have been left behind such that the crew may run to Lakeville and not have to outlaw which would have opened a whole other can of worms.

#322897  by railwatcher

This was wierd, at best. 432 was separated from the consist and left closer to the 5/20 crossing. Kelli (Mrs. Railwatcher) said she saw it heading on to Lakeville on Saturday. I thought it was strange that they had left an engine behind.

Greg

#324138  by the1jp

I also stopped by for a minute when I saw the 432 sitting there.
The next morning there were 4 or 5 LAL trucks sitting near the crossing. A bunch of people were looking at the rails and ties. I wonder if the 432 was left there to test the roadbed for some reason?
PS. Who was taking the pictures of the 432? I couldn't stay long enough to say hello.