Railroad Forums 

• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#950541  by westriverrr

July 9 - Today three generations came down from Vermont to see the 40th Anniversary train at the Springfield, Mass station.

The creators and crew of the train are to be greatly praised for their efforts. Whether you're a button and lever pushing child (engineer's control stand and whistles), Old Fart (first Amtrak route attempts) or a sometimes rider over the past forty years there's something for everything. The crew is so outgoing and seems as interested in you as we were in the train. My granddaughter was quite impressed by her conversation with a female Amtrak engineer. Amtrak Police were there with Roxie the bomb sniffing dog and the grandchildren posed for a picture with her. The LSA manning the souvenir counter wanted to buy my Vermonter hat. Normally, he said, he does Boston-Newport News. And the further end of that car had those damnable weird Star-Trek tiny liver shaped stools with mini-counters which would have definitely prevented any laptop activity whatsoever. I've read from time to time on All-Aboard about that goofy design and we're fortunate that reason prevailed and it was never adopted. But at least I got to see them

When I asked if I could take pictures on the platform without a ticket, crew's eyed rolled and they looked at each other with a kind of "why does this have to keep coming up?" look. Anyway I took lots of pictures, especially of the spotless head end with its two locomotives, F40 406 appearing to be nothing more than a (quiet) genset with GE 822 leading with not even a squished bug on it.

My daughter's comment was that it would have been nice to include a Viewliner and a Superliner car or two in the consist. Probably because it would make the train too long to fit the siding where it's parked for display or there are clearance issues in the east they can't do this. Or it could just be they are to short of equipment to be able to do this.

And there was NO mention that I could find of New England's favorite train, the Montrealer (RIP).

And there's lots of handouts and coloring activities for the little ones. The whole event makes a great family outing.

And, of course, if you're in Springfield, you're not far from Palmer and the Steaming Tender Restaurant in the restored station. The restaurant owners are not particularly happy that the Vermonter will soon be rerouted away from Palmer and Amherst and back onto the old B&M Conn River line.

Jonathan
 #950554  by Cadet57

Sir I was there yesterday (and today for that matter). It was indeed a great event, not to mention great weather to boot. I'm still processing my shots, boy was all that stainless nice and shiny!

Here's one shot I have of the train coming back to the station this afternoon after a switch failure prevented them from wying the train

#950821  by MEC407

Can't wait to see it when it comes to Freeport, Maine!
 #950827  by b&m 1566

It would be nice if Amtrak had the red, white, and blue strip on all their trains still; they should all look like #822.
 #950841  by peanut1

You know what would be even cooler? If we still had turboliners and F40's still running too. No Sarcasm =)
 #950903  by ST214

I agree 100%
b&m 1566 wrote:It would be nice if Amtrak had the red, white, and blue strip on all their trains still; they should all look like #822.
 #950980  by CSX Conductor

I know the LSA that was working the cafe car very well. He's a huge buff and I wasn't surprised at all to read that he offered to buy your hat, lol.
 #950992  by CSX Conductor

westriverrr wrote:My granddaughter was quite impressed by her conversation with a female Amtrak engineer.

My daughter's comment was that it would have been nice to include a Viewliner and a Superliner car or two in the consist. Probably because it would make the train too long to fit the siding where it's parked for display or there are clearance issues in the east they can't do this. Or it could just be they are to short of equipment to be able to do this.
The female engineer may have been the Springfield Road Foreman as there are no female engineers in Springfield crew base.

The Viewliners or Superliners weren't included because of all the reasons you mention. Also, they are not needed as the purpose of the train was to be a rolling museum, which was built using retired baggage cars. The only equipment that is normally in service would be the cafe car and the P40.

Unfortunately I doubt anyone will get great shots on the ShoreLine of the Heritage Unit leading as it can't lead due to not having ACSES. Therefore the train will probably be towed by an ACSES equipped switcher or P42 between New Haven & Boston.
 #951001  by westriverrr

CSX Conductor wrote:I know the LSA that was working the cafe car very well. He's a huge buff and I wasn't surprised at all to read that he offered to buy your hat, lol.
Probably I should have sold it to him. Obviously knows his hats. Even knows various styles for each train.
 #951147  by Cadet57

CSX Conductor wrote:
Unfortunately I doubt anyone will get great shots on the ShoreLine of the Heritage Unit leading as it can't lead due to not having ACSES. Therefore the train will probably be towed by an ACSES equipped switcher or P42 between New Haven & Boston.
Why not just go via the Inland Route then?
 #951430  by CSX Conductor

There are only a few engineers still qualified on the B&A, myself and others that transferred from CSXT. It would not be practical to go from New haven to Boston via the Inland Route just to have the heritage unit in the lead. Besides, the train is going to New London & Providence before Boston.