Railroad Forums 

• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1044618  by njtmnrrbuff

Is there an approximate time they would leave GCT after the festival? I know that I asked this question already, but since the event is in two days, I'm thinking there would be some sort of answer. I understand if there isn't one. thanks.
 #1044628  by Tadman

Any word if the Iowa Pacific "IC" e-units will be at CUS? I hear they're parked in Bensenville, it would be a treat to see those. I havent' been able to get out to Bensenville lately and don't foresee the opportunity any time soon.
 #1044742  by ATK

Why are all the PV's going to Albany first to get added to the Anniversary Train? I thought that some (or all) of the PV's were getting handed off to MNR at NRO? Doesn't seem to make any sense to have the cars coming from New Jersey go all the way to Albany, just to come back down epsecially since they have to go through Sunnyside anyway. Amtrak brought their equipment (Beech Grove, 8400, etc) out of Sunnyside tonight (Thurs) to get handed off at NRO.

7 PV's + 5 Anniversary cars, pulled by 1 P40DC? That's one heavy train for one unit....
 #1044751  by Train2009

ATK wrote:Why are all the PV's going to Albany first to get added to the Anniversary Train? I thought that some (or all) of the PV's were getting handed off to MNR at NRO? Doesn't seem to make any sense to have the cars coming from New Jersey go all the way to Albany, just to come back down epsecially since they have to go through Sunnyside anyway. Amtrak brought their equipment (Beech Grove, 8400, etc) out of Sunnyside tonight (Thurs) to get handed off at NRO.

7 PV's + 5 Anniversary cars, pulled by 1 P40DC? That's one heavy train for one unit....

HHP-8 #664 took the Beech Grove and #8400 to New Rochelle from Sunnyside then a Metro North BL20GH #111 took it down to GCT.
 #1044758  by gregorygrice

ATK wrote:Why are all the PV's going to Albany first to get added to the Anniversary Train? I thought that some (or all) of the PV's were getting handed off to MNR at NRO? Doesn't seem to make any sense to have the cars coming from New Jersey go all the way to Albany, just to come back down epsecially since they have to go through Sunnyside anyway. Amtrak brought their equipment (Beech Grove, 8400, etc) out of Sunnyside tonight (Thurs) to get handed off at NRO.

An Amtrak P32 can pull 11+ Amfleets on its own without a hitch. It won't be a problem. Example:
Attachments:
316370_2307773941111_1452180419_2601240_938695683_n.jpg
316370_2307773941111_1452180419_2601240_938695683_n.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
 #1044792  by CP4743

Tadman wrote:Any word if the Iowa Pacific "IC" e-units will be at CUS? I hear they're parked in Bensenville, it would be a treat to see those. I havent' been able to get out to Bensenville lately and don't foresee the opportunity any time soon.

Regarding the two Iowa Pacific "IC" E units, one of the Iowa Pacific E8's, the SLRG 518, is currently in Saratoga,NY awaiting delivery for temporary use on the Saratoga & North Creek. It has been there for over a week after coming out of Metro East Industries. Last I knew the AZER 6070, which will become SLRG 515, was on the WSOR in Horicon getting painted in "IC". Was it released from Horicon?

John Sesonske
 #1044816  by ThirdRail7

The cars have been massing for the better part of the week. Remember, Sunnyside Yard is OVERSTUFFED during the weekdays. They don't really have the capacity to stage this kind of equipment for any length of time. Albany is natural choice since that is where the 40th train is being held. It also allows for a straight move to GCT, instead of tying up engines, manpower and track space for a hand-off/towing operation.

Asa for 1 unit on 11 cars, it isn't that big of a deal considering the train is only stopping at CRT. Once it is on the move, it really isn't protecting a passenger schedule, so there's no time to lose.

Train2009 wrote: HHP-8 #664 took the Beech Grove and #8400 to New Rochelle from Sunnyside then a Metro North BL20GH #111 took it down to GCT.
Additionally, you both have the wrong information. HHP-8 664 brought the equipment from WAS to PHL, where it waited out the commission. Then, it advanced to NYP and NRO. This equipment (including the 8400) was prepped in Ivy City. It never touched Sunnyside.

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Is there an approximate time they would leave GCT after the festival? I know that I asked this question already, but since the event is in two days, I'm thinking there would be some sort of answer. I understand if there isn't one. thanks.

The move will take place when the equipment is ready. That really is dependent on how long it takes people to disperse, which can take time.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1044886  by acelaphillies

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Third Rail; OK you deliver the Acela set to Metro North at New Rochelle; is there any assurance that Mr. Railnut will handle it from there to GCT? I would think safe assumption that no Amtrak C&E are qualified those 16 miles West of "Shell'. What locomotive will MNR use as a "pusher' and where and how will it be added to the consist?

This will be interesting to learn how the Acela set is handled, and also, by what Authority it will move over MNR.

Dutch will have all of the paperwork he needs. It has been prepared. :) Equipment coming from WAS/NYP will operate to New Rochelle. From there, Metro-North will couple to the rear and tow it to GCT. The Acela on FRI will follow the same plan except it will wye at Mott Haven shove onto GCT for placement. The anniversary train will follow 64(11) to CRT. Metro-North will operate it to GCT without adding an additional unit (which I find interesting.)

On Saturday, all equipment leaves GCT in three waves. Metro-North operates the equipment to NRO. From there, Amtrak couple to the rear and take it to Sunnyside (via NYP.) The anniversary train departs for PHL on 43(13), the private cars (with a small exception) are being handed off to NJT (12) and the displayed equipment (10001,8400) makes its way to home base.
So if the Exhibit Train leaves GCT on Sat will it spend the night in SSYD before heading to Philly on the Pennsylvanian the next day? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tour is over right? So is the Penn Coach Yard at Philly going to be where the train is kept for now? Also, do you know when the 9800 and 10001 will go back to WAS?
 #1045835  by ThirdRail7

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Tadman wrote:I think it's going to do rotations of established railroad museums for a period of time like 2 months each for the next year or two. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I heard.
The 40th Anniversary train will continue its journey for the duration of the anniversary calendar year. After that, the disposition of the equipment will be determined.
The tour is over and the 822 is in revenue service already. It'll be interesting to see if this equipment is used as a museum of sorts.
 #1046476  by NJT4115

chuchubob wrote:HEP/cab car 406 has been reunited with the train.
Nice shot! How do you get pictures like that?
 #1046487  by JR4815D2

It got back today? nice shot
 #1046495  by chuchubob

NJT4115 wrote:
Nice shot! How do you get pictures like that?
from the parking garage across the street from 30th Street Station, with an inside connection via SEPTA on the second floor of the station.
 #1046674  by Tadman

Bob's pic looks like an 80's mail train if there ever was such a thing. 406 is a looker.

I took a few last week. Notice that since 406 is an HEP provider, it still puts out hot exhaust which make it look like it's tugging the train up that grade. The north entrance to CUS is a fun place to watch trains depart now that P42 and MP36 pull trains - since they don't have screamer HEP, the bigger trains (long Metra and 5/6) have to throttle up at the bottom of the hill, then back off at the tight curve at Canal crossing (pictured).