Railroad Forums 

• #4 Red Line Cars 1900-2151

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1521283  by jwhite07

Universal Hub reported Friday that the first two pilot Red Line cars from CRRC arrived in New Jersey by ship and will be trucked up to Boston.
 #1532663  by jwhite07

A pair of Orange Line pilot cars was sent to Cabot for familiarization prior to the Red Line getting their own, too. If those cars are still there, that's another possibility.
 #1546229  by R36 Combine Coach

1900-2151 suggest 252 cars. That would be sufficient to finish of the No. 3 (01800s) from 1994, though with a
lifetime of less than 30 years.
 #1546231  by diburning

You are correct. 252 cars are on order. The 01800s are being replaced as well, since the propulsion system is no longer produced, requiring in-house fabrication of parts which is expensive and takes time, leaving cars out of service longer than if they simply had replacement parts to swap in. The new cars use a fairly standard MELCO (Mitsubishi) propulsion system that is used on other rail equipment around the world, which means great parts availability down the line.
 #1546252  by typesix

GE is out of the rail transportation business, having sold it to Wabtec(formerly Westinghouse), but GE had decided before that to get out of the rapid transit business. There are quite a few 01800s going for the ride only, with no propulsion active.
 #1546335  by Head-end View

I'm more than sorry to hear of the impending demise of the 1800s from 1994. They still seem like the "new" cars to me as I watched them being delivered 25 years ago. And I liked them from day one. Good looking, functional cars that had a great front window view originally at least. Considering that MBTA usually keeps each generation of cars almost forever, it's a hard pill to swallow that these best (in my opinion) cars they ever had are getting retired before they even hit the 30 year mark.
 #1546346  by R36 Combine Coach

typesix wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 amThere are quite a few 01800s going for the ride only, with no propulsion active.
Dead in tow trailers?

The GE AC traction on the no. 3/01800 class originally debuted on NYCT's R110B in late 1992 and is of the now
dated GTO type.

Here's the GE Rail Transit products catalog as of 1997 from the Wayback Machine showing their offerings in the
mid 90s.
 #1546353  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah Ian, I also remember when the 01800s were coming in by truck to replace the antiquated 01400s, 27 years ago in early 1993 and it would b another year before they debuted. No I’m looking forward to the new CRRC red line cars hopefully they’ll be in service by the holiday season at least one or two train sets.
 #1546374  by typesix

Yes, some 01800s have their blue propulsion disable lights on. One of the reasons to replace the 01800s is difficulty in obtaining propulsion control system parts.
 #1546385  by CRail

The blue light on the side of the carbody indicates a propulsion fault. The limit of how many blue lights a train can have before being removed from service has increased over the years, probably because the higher standard would mean a major shortage now for the reasons discussed above.