Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#676951  by timberley

I know that VIA P42 #904 has had the third headlight put in for a little while now, but I just saw a video today of #911 with the third light as well.

Here's a link to that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS9e6fGGY8

You can see it quite clearly.

So does anyone know VIA's plans for their P42's in terms of headlights? Is it just 904 and 911 now, or are there others? Will any more get the third light?

I know several of the F40's have them now, and though 6400 didn't get it in the rebuild, 6402 did. So is VIA planning on doing it on all their F40's? I can't personally understand the purpose of doing it on some units and not others. It's a help for those units that have it, obviously, but it can't help overall unless they all have them.

I think it would be kind of neat to see them all done up. The way they've done the P42's looks pretty sharp, but I don't know what everyone thinks on that.
 #677026  by Ken V

As far as I've seen 904 and 911 are the only two P42s to have received a third headlight to date. Coincidentally, i observed both units meeting near Newtonville a few weeks ago (on trains 45 and 64). Also, as I understand it, all the F40 rebuilds will have the third light included. I agree the placement on the P42 nose looks good (better than the three tiered setup on the F40).
 #677622  by D.Carleton

Okay. I give. Why the third (actually fifth) headlight? I appreciate the LED light is brighter than conventional incandescent bulbs. Why not replace the lower (ditch) lights and save the time, effort and bodywork?
 #678194  by viahogger

Ken V wrote:As far as I've seen 904 and 911 are the only two P42s to have received a third headlight to date. Coincidentally, i observed both units meeting near Newtonville a few weeks ago (on trains 45 and 64). Also, as I understand it, all the F40 rebuilds will have the third light included. I agree the placement on the P42 nose looks good (better than the three tiered setup on the F40).

The 912 and 913 are also now equipped with the third headlight. The lights are HID "High Intensity Discharge" type (pencil beam) and allow a sort of spot light effect ahead of the train which greatly enhances what the engineer is able to see. It also increases the visibility of the train for anyone along the right of way. Eventually all Via locomotives
will be equipped with these headlights.

I believe this is the light that Via has gone with, it's a 35 watt HID Xenon pencil beam
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustor ... duct=12503

As a side note I can tell you that these lights are fantastic and really do work well, I have also noticed that during the daytime say on a overcast day the light will really light up reflectorized objects like Safety vests or signs along the right of way.
 #678407  by timberley

D.Carleton wrote:Okay. I give. Why the third (actually fifth) headlight? I appreciate the LED light is brighter than conventional incandescent bulbs. Why not replace the lower (ditch) lights and save the time, effort and bodywork?
Changing the ditchlights could not have the same effect. Recall that ditch-lights are low mounted and in a cross-eyed arrangement, so as to light ahead and to the sides low to the ground. Making them brighter would increase visibility on the ground....and blind any drivers waiting at level crossings! As "viahogger" notes, these lights are spotlight-type lights, so as to give better visibility far down the tracks ahead.

Thanks viahogger for your words from experience on the lights, and the update about 912 and 913! It will be interesting once all the units have them. From a railfan's point of view, I think they're pretty neat. Although from a modeller's point of view.... :P
 #678480  by timberley

Looks like 910 already has the extra light too....

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=282635&nseq=1

That shot was actually from May 4th.
 #678630  by Montrealrail

I get a tips from inside..

I passed by Montreal MMC yesterday and by curiosity asked the question and I get this explaination..

All the P42 DC will be equipped with third light soon,cause they want to get all the locomotives with a 3rd light,for smog or bad weather view,all the F40 PH will be equipped with third light too,in the rebuilt program for the F40PH

eventually the 6400 will be equipped with the tird light too..,the 6402 already has his third light.

the actualy third light equiped I seen..for P42DC..901,902,903,904,905(in progress)910,911,912,913,918.
and for the F40..6402,6420 and 6434,may be un or two others .
 #685285  by viahogger

Work is really progressing fast on the implantation of the third headlight, you can add the 907 to the list of engines
that have been modified.
 #685390  by viahogger

I'm not sure if they will. It would be a good idea to equip all of Via's equipment but I'm not sure if they have plans to do the RDC's

ENR3870 wrote:Will the RDC's get the new headlight as well?
 #772223  by timberley

steve16 wrote:if i were you i will use the ditchlights, it will give better visibility and really do work well
I'm not quite sure I understand your post. All of VIA Rail's units (F40 and P42) do have ditchlights already. The purpose of the extra headlight is to increase visibility beyond what is possible with only the two headlights and the ditchlights. Yes, ditchlights do work well, but they cannot (by definition of their arrangement) provide greater visibility far directly ahead on the tracks. Only a more directed, high intensity, spotlight-type beam can do that, hence the addition of the new light.