Railroad Forums 

• 35mm Slide Scanning

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#95561  by kpiersol

I eventually want to digitalize my collection of "old" 35mm slides. I don't know if this has been addressed in this forum before, but I am looking for a high quality, reasonably priced, easy to use scanner. Don't know if these terms are mutually exclusive or not, but I would be extremely interested in your experiences with scanners.

Thanks.
 #95591  by MikeF

kpiersol wrote:I am looking for a high quality, reasonably priced, easy to use scanner.
What is your idea of "reasonably priced"? The most inexpensive decent slide scanners can be had for somewhere around $200 or $300, but, as is usually the case, you get what you pay for. Better quality scanners run somewhere between $500 and $750, and the top-of-the-line models can be over $1,000.

Personally, I use a $600 Nikon Coolscan V ED and couldn't be more pleased with it. It has 4000 dpi resolution, which gives me an uncropped image of about 5500 x 3700 pixels. The sharpness and color are excellent with all types of film. The included Nikon Scan software is easy to use. You can see many sample images (resized for the Web, of course) here: http://mikef.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveList.aspx

#96263  by Ken W2KB

I have a Minolta Dimage scanner similar to yours and am also pleased with it.