Railroad Forums 

• 30 MTU diesel engines for US switchers.

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#340613  by Komachi

From what I can understand/assume (yes, I know what happens to you and me when one assumes) from the information provided, Tongum is a German company.

The "GmbH" moniker is what gives it away as German (I think it means "company" or "corporation," but I can't say for sure... my second language is Japanese, not German :(, but I've seen that "GmbH" attached to other German corporate names, so...), and the CEO has a connection to a few of the Daimler-Benz divisions.

MTU seems to supply diesel engines for industrial applications, such as locomotives and the hurculean dump trucks used in mining operations. They also are looking to use them in marine applications as well.

It's hard to say how sucessful they'll be in their venture into the US market. But if it is a Daimler-Benz product, it may do fairly well. Time will only tell with that.
 #340718  by jimknopf

Good evening from Germany to the forum,

it´s right: Tognum is a German company, formally known as "MTU" (Maschinen- und Turbinen-Union / engines and turbine union), when it had been an officially subsidiary of Daimler-Benz. Now, it has been sold to swedish "EQT" group and named "Tognum GmbH". The brand MTU will stay.

Note: GmbH means "Gesellschaft mit beschraenkter Haftung" / "private limited company"

MTU Diesel engines are well-known in Europe and many parts of the world. It´s a big manufacturer with high quality. In MTU, former engine models of "Mercedes-Benz", "MAN" (Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nuernberg / engine works Augsburg-Nuremberg) and "Maybach" had been brought together. They are used in ships, railroad vehicles and electric generators.

In Germany, MTU engines are built-in in almost every diesel locomotive class, i.e. 211,212,216,215,217,218,290-295. The engines have been made in the 50ies, 60ies and 70ies and are still running today. The latest models like "Bombardier TRAXX P160DE" or "SIEMENS ER20" use the 4000 series engine, and re-motorized switchers of German Railroad DB are using them too.

However, MTU is not new to me, but I´m strained how the engines do their job in America ;-)