Railroad Forums 

• 2OO5 MARS light usage.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#416267  by uhaul

To answer the following question will probably require a copy of the August 2006 TRAINS Magazine. The photo on page 29 shows KCS 664 operating in October 2005 with MARS lights and no ditch lights. I thought that units operating in the U.S. of A could not use MARS lights after 1997 (or something like that.)
A 1990 photograph shows no MARS light cut out.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=55698
A 2004 picture shows the MARS light cut out bolted over.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=62936
A 2006 photo shows the MARS light cut out still bolted over.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=364412
Should I have posted this in the KCS forum?

#416287  by Jtgshu

I can only give ya an answer from the rules that Im familar with which is NORAC, but in NORAC, it states the following.......
b. Auxiliary Lights
The leading end of leading engines that operate over public crossings at grade at speeds greater than 20 MPH must be equipped with auxiliary lights. Auxiliary lights consist of two ditch lights (auxiliary lights on steady), two crossing lights (auxiliary lights alternately flashing), or one oscillating light (auxiliary light that moves in a circular or figure eight pattern). Auxiliary lights are considered operative when they illuminate after the engine horn and/or bell is sounded or the auxiliary light switch is activated.
Auxiliary lights must be operational before the engine leaves its initial terminal, and must be displayed when the engine is approaching and operating over public crossings at grade.
As I understand it, the oscillating lights were removed because they were labor intensive - they HAVE to work if equipped. Thats the same reason why NS and CSX are blanking out the marker lights of former CR units - if its equipped with the equipment, it has to work.

#416300  by clearblock

Here are excerpts from the FRA rules that require auxiliary lights after 1997 but allow Mars lights instead of auxiliarys if "ordered" prior to 1996:

229.125(d) Effective December 31, 1997, each lead locomotive operated at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour over one or more public highway-rail crossings shall be equipped with operative auxiliary lights, in addition to the headlight required by paragraph (a) or (b) of this section. A locomotive equipped on March 6, 1996 with auxiliary lights in conformance with Sec. 229.133 shall be deemed to conform to this section until March 6, 2000. All locomotives in compliance with Sec. 229.133(c) shall be deemed to conform to this section.

229.133(c)(1) Any lead locomotive equipped with oscillating lights as described in paragraph (b)(4) that were ordered for installation on that locomotive prior to January 1, 1996, is considered in compliance with Sec. 229.125(d) (1) through (3).

#416348  by obienick

What did the MARS light do? Was it an additional headlight?
 #416390  by Ocala Mike

obienick, the mars light was essentially a warning light whose oscillating pattern was thought to be more effective as a warning indicator than a steady beam. In many of its forms, it could be operated in a steady mode as a straight headlight as well.

#416399  by GN 599

An old head told me when they used to get the WP power on run through stuff you could stop the oscillation with the beam pointed out into the woods. Made a great spotlight for deer and such. Go figure :-D

#416401  by SooLineRob

OK, next question...

Why "Mars"?

"Gender correct" as opposed to "Venus"?
Easier to spell than "oscillating"?

LOL!
 #416450  by Ocala Mike

The name of the company that got the patent on the design back in 1935 was The Mars Signal Light Company of Chicago. There were other companies that made devices with a similar idea, but their name stuck.
Back in the 30's, the country was kind of "Mars (planet) - crazy," like we're Paris Hilton - crazy today. Think Orson Welles and "War of the Worlds." The eerie effect the pulsating, colored light provided saw to it that the name "mars light" hung around.

#416454  by CarterB

The Mars Light was made by MarsLite Corporation (or Mars Signal Light Co), formed in April of 1933. The Gyralite was made by Pyle-National Electric Headlight Company, founded in 1897.

Mars lights in many configurations, most but not all in figure 8 pattern. Some had white bulbs, some red, some both red and white) Some were used on observation cars also with the red bulb) Mars lights were developed for use on fire trucks first, railroad usage came later (circa 1936)

The Gyralight had a rotary sweep pattern.(oval) first rr usage circa 1948.

Video of one in action:
http://stkntower.railfan.net/portolavideos.html SP 2873 MARS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPxsW6OuuM

#425157  by Ken W2KB

A couple of years ago on a night speeder run in North Carolina, I was immediately behind a large speeder that had a mars light. It was very interesting to watch from behind as the light swept the track area ahead in the oscillating pattern.

#426499  by NV290

True "Mars" lights last i recalled have not been installed since the 60's. Mars bowed out of the railroad lighting divison back then and Pyle was the only one producing true oscilating headlights from that point on and to this very day, albeit under the name Translight. Translight bought all of the Pyle Patents decades ago and while they kept the name, Gyralight, they are now made in Milford CT under the Translight brand. Not Pyle National in Chicago.

Southern Pacific and D&RGW were the last of the big railroads still using them on all their engines. Most notably SP. As others have said, maintenence was a an issue and they were done away with. KCS was still having them installed for awhile as well. But even they have dwindled out. The only railroad i can think of who is still getting Gyralights installed on there latest engines is Chicagos Metra system. But it is a single version.

The FRA says if it on the engine, it has to work. That is why Gyralights, along with strobes like UP and Amtrak used to use have gone away as have revolving beacons like AT&SF and BN used to use. Ditch lights have no moving parts and satisfy the FRA requirements. Some railroads installed flashers for them but many have opted against that as well to save $$.

There was an EXCELLENT web site devoted to these types of lights with hundreds of pictures and descriptions. I cant find the link though.