Railroad Forums 

• 2nd LIRR Coach Going

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#383707  by RS115

Noticed this morning that the second ex-LIRR coach at Jefferson Road has been drilled into the siding from the run-around and there was a small crew there starting to work on scrapping it. There are still a couple of pieces of the first one around and it looks like they're keeping the trucks intact.

Yesterday saw the drill go by dragging one of the F40's to, I assume, Whippany - don't know if it was for storage or use on the museum train tomorrow. Anyone know what they used for power last weekend - I wasn't able to get down there.

#383717  by Tri-State Tom

C424 #18 and F40 #265 on each end with the 3 ex-CI's, Birken, Morris County and Alexander Hamilton....good looking train !

#384054  by GOLDEN-ARM

:-D
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#384879  by RS115

Sometime between last Friday and about 10:00 this morning the coach was joined on the scrapper's siding by RS-11's 7208 and 7213. One has the hood over the prime mover removed while the other has its full hood sans doors. There was a fair amount of activity there today even as late as 5:00.

Shortly after 10 they pulled two tie inserters that had been parked on the run around out and they went west toward Morristown under their own power.
 #385190  by Sandy Burton

There are now five RS-11s being scrapped. In addition to 7208 and 7213, the 7206, 7207 and 7211? are being scrapped at the Jefferson Avenue run-around. According to the foreman of the crew doing the scrapping, these locomotives have been sold to the company doing the scrapping and the prime movers will be salvaged for marine applications. 2029, the CB&NS unit will also be scrapped. I did not catch the name of the company doing the scrapping. :(

Sandy Burton
 #385209  by blockline4180

Sandy Burton wrote:There are now five RS-11s being scrapped. In addition to 7208 and 7213, the 7206, 7207 and 7211? are being scrapped at the Jefferson Avenue run-around. According to the foreman of the crew doing the scrapping, these locomotives have been sold to the company doing the scrapping and the prime movers will be salvaged for marine applications. 2029, the CB&NS unit will also be scrapped. I did not catch the name of the company doing the scrapping. :(

Sandy Burton

Thanks for that wonderful news, Sandy! :(

Marine operations?? Wouldn't M&E be smarter if they used some of the prime movers to get keep the other alco's going??

Very confused! :(
 #385350  by mountie17

Marine operations?? Wouldn't M&E be smarter if they used some of the prime movers to get keep the other alco's going??

Very confused! :(

They probably already took out all of the useable parts...Although it would've been nice to see one more RS-11...This time, however, in red, with gold and black trimming.

#385474  by cjvrr

Any clue if they would be willing to remove and sell a locomotive cab and short hood? No need for any controls in it. Would make a neat playhouse for my kids...

Wonder what the cost would be for something like that? Need to find a way to ship it home too.

I am being totally serious. Having a locomotive cab has always been something this big kid has wanted too. This may be the opportunity.

hi

#385484  by thebigham

Thanks, Sandy.
 #385559  by Sandy Burton

Chris,

If you are serious about buying a short hood, I would stop by and talk to the foreman. These locomotives no longer belong to the M&E, but rather to the company that is salvaging the prime movers and generators. You might get one for scrap value which he told me was $200/ton the other day. Your guess is as good as mine as to how much a cab and short hood weighs. Of course, then you need to get it to your home. Don't wait long because I expect they will be able to pull the prime movers and generators by end of day tomorrow at the lastest based on what I saw today at lunch time. I would expect the rest of the locomotives would be cut up quite quickly after that.

Sandy

#385565  by blockline4180

Maybe M&E should strictly get into the scrap & salvage business....After all they like to buy old engines and then SCRAP them on site!

#385612  by Jtgshu

So how many locos are they actually using, and are running, from that Erie Mining loco purchase? Seems like they basically bought rolling scrap heaps?

#385613  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:So how many locos are they actually using, and are running, from that Erie Mining loco purchase? Seems like they basically bought rolling scrap heaps?

#386129  by SRS402

Does anyone know the name or contact info of the outfit who is scrapping these units. Where is Jefferson Road located?

#386134  by joe k

Dont know the name of the contractor working at the Jefferson Rd site..........
but you can find the M&E Team Track on South Jefferson Rd in Whippany. Located between Route 10 and the intersection of Eden Lane, only about 1000' from the Route 287 overpass.