Railroad Forums 

• 28 years later...

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#8917  by 56-57

I was wondering if we could start a list of surviving CNJ equipment. There's gotta be more out there than any one person knows about, so why not pool the knowledge here on the forum?

This is what I know about.

SD40 (mostly lease fleets)
3061-3068

GP7
1520 (St. Louis) 1523, 1524 (URHS)

RS3
1548 (re-engined, now in Canada), 1554 (Jim Thorpe, ARHS)

SW7/9
1087? (Stourbridge 430)
also possibly one in South

SW1
1012?? (became Pocono Northeast 600, or 900, now parts source RMDI)

one TOFC trailer in Tennessee

1300, 1306, 1309, 1316 (RTI coaches)

a group on Green Mountain in VT

91507, 91529? (red baron, Jim Thorpe), 91530, 91547 (steel NE cabeese)

91343 (RTI office, Jim Thorpe)

I can think of more, but I don't have any details. If anyone has any more info, that would be :D .

Thanks, Mike.

#13495  by danb

Weren't several GP40s inherited by NJT?

#13534  by metman499

All the GP40s went to NJT and having been rebuilt still soldier on in daily service although they are to be retired after the new EMDs are on the property. From what I hear they mainly run on the Hoboken division.

#13730  by BigDell

I believe there are also a couple of Budd RDC's still in surviving, yes?

BigDell

#13767  by Ken W2KB

Budds, yes. Also the Camelback at the B&O Museum and a 0-6-0 at Minersville, PA (if it hasn't been moved lately.)

#13843  by metman499

It was there a few months ago in pieces. Anyone have any idea when the rebuild will be complete?

#13884  by Jtgshu

I haven't been down there in a while, but I believe the 3 ancient tank cars what were the fueling facility in Bay Head until quite recently had CNJ markings, but not CNJ paint. These cars probably aren't going to be there much longer though, if they aren't gone already

#14239  by Tri-State Tom

Jt -

After asking for permission, I went back there and took a first ever up close look at those marooned but railed tankers about 5-6 years ago....

At least one of the three had a faded 'TEXACO' emblem on the side.

Does that mean anything to anyone vis a vis original ownership ? Were perhaps these once dedicated cars for Texaco but owned by CNJ ?

#14325  by Ken W2KB

The sand hopper still with Lady herald and CNJ markings, on the east stub at Raritan Yard being saved by the URHS for the museum. It was used off the rails as a sand hopper before the new facility was built a few years ago.

#14620  by CNJFAN

In the summer of 2002, I found a CNJ Ballast Car in Raritan Yard right behind Labcorp.
I think it is gone now.
I am really happy that I took video of it.
You will also see GP40's on the RVL but they were once owned by Conrail because the numbering scheme is 4200's.
Although I occasionally do see a 4100 series GP40 come through which was former CNJ.
As for the Budd RDC's, I have not seen them myself but I think I read on another thread that they are still in use in Cape May for sight seeing.
 #15911  by gravelyfan

The NJ Museum of Transportation, D/B/A the Pine Creek Railroad, located in Allaire State Park in Monmouth County NJ has two CNJ "plywood" caboose cars (one in service on narrow gauge trucks). They also have 3 CNJ box cars on standard gauge trucks; these cars are used for storage.

They also have the CNJ station from Freneau on the Freehold Branch.

I believe the Stourbridge Line tourist train in Honesdale PA has a CNJ coach.

The three Blue Comet Obs cars survive although not in running condition
One is on the Cape May Seashore Line, NJT still has the NJT 1 buried somewhere, and the third is part of the recently reopened restaurant alongside I78 just west of Clinton NJ.

#19001  by 56-57

:) Thanks for the input.

I was wondering 'bout a picture I saw a few years ago. There was some sort of tour train out in the western side of PA, calling itself the PL&W RR. They had a tiny 2-4-0, and in the picture (in Railpace) it was coupled to two blue clerestory coaches with a yellow stripe and band. They had to be CNJ. I haven't ever heard or seen of them since. Hopefully, they still exist.

Does anyone know anything about the PL&W, the steam engine, or the coaches??

Thanks, and 'SAFE TRIP'!

Mike

#25376  by creeker

Yea NJMT has the 91155 built in 1874 and a sister(i dont know the #) and the 3 boxcars. The info on the station is correct to. About those tankers they are still there and they are CNJ and NJMT mite be getting one. Its not offical yet.

-Eric

#25629  by Urban D Kaye

I believe NJT GP40PH-2s numbered 4100-4112 were all once CNJ.

This one was renumbered NJT #4108.