Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#704369  by jtunnel

That's an Amtrak Track Geometry/Inspection track vehicle at Sunnyside Yard.

BTW, I was stuck in more traffic on the belt on Saturday. The yellow railway vehicles I had previously mentioned/ potted looked to be rail grinders, at least four of them, sitting outside the Coney Island Shops.
 #1042708  by ApproachMedium

Whacky looking! I just wanted to add to the fact that the old diesels having 3rd rail shoes has nothing to do with the signals as one mentioned. I have the original GE manual at home for the old locomotives and the 3rd rail shoes was so they could operate in 3rd rail mode or charge the onboard battery system. They at one point were capable of moving themselves back to 3rd rail territory via battery power and then using the 3rd rail to start the diesel engine and recharge the batteries. They essentially were a tri mode locomotive. The battery mode probably has long since been removed.
 #1043165  by MNR's #1 Conductor

The third rail shoe on the motor is for the purpose of attaching ice scrapers to the shoe in order to be used as ice build up removal from the third rails in the winter months on the outdoor lines. The motors, along with some work rider cars and even some passenger cars, get scrapers affixed to clear ice from the thrid rails as well.