Railroad Forums 

• 24/7/365 Clothing and Boots Questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#455130  by musicmarine

I am looking for any and all suggestions for clothing for conductors. I will be working out of Norfolk, Va. It does get cold here in the winter but not like working in Northern Minnesota or something. Also, boots...what do you all suggest. Something that will keep my feet warm and dry. When it gets cold and raining/snowing, what is the best for clothing.

Also, what should I pack to take to McDonough with me? Are jeans and sweatshirts acceptable or should I be wearing button shirts with a collar? Basically what so I need to take with me...clothing and otherwise. Do I need notebooksand paper or will we be given everything we need when we get there?

I know some RR's offer help with purching work boots, does NS do this? What about saftey glasses...are they issued to us? Can we get prescription saftey goggles?

Thanks for all the input ahead of time!!

#455200  by NS212

For McDonough, wear clothes that you would work in. You'll be doing a lot of outside activities and you will get dirty. They want you to have boots with a 90 degree heal and the heal has to be at least 6 inches long from the bottom of the sole to the top. It give you the best ankle support for walking on the ballast and when climbing on and off equipment. Depending on when you go, you may want to pack some short sleeved shirts because it does stay warm in GA longer than it does here in VA. When I went last year at the end of Oct, temps were still in the 60's and 70's. Just some normal winter clothing would do fine for winter. Get a rain suit as well. You don't have to have one, but it is recommended. You will be given all the books and materials you need on your first day of class. When you get your start date, they are also supposed to set up a meeting with the trainmaster, so he can give you information on where you will be staying and also give you your rules books, lantern, safety glasses, counter, heat stick, etc..all the stuff you need for work except for your radio.

#455954  by jgallaway81

The rain suit is DEFFINATELY something you will want. I learned that lesson the hard way one rainy night shifting the intermodal yard in Bethlehem PA.

A half dozen pens, and a single notebook for paper will suffice.

Boots are the employee's responsibility, but they are claimable on your taxes. Glasses are provided, however you have to wait till your 90-day probationary period is up to get your prescription glasses. After that, you get a regular & sunglass pair every year.

Jeans are the recommended pants for conductors.. best price versus durability, however I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with dickies' work pants.

As for shirts... I'd recommend both long & short sleeve... depending on your class size, you might be split into shifts, and you might get the night shift.

Good luck!