Railroad Forums 

• 2022 Yates Dock hike - Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1595328  by BR&P

About a year back, the first and only known pic of Yates Dock surfaced. With some new maps, and that pic, it might be time to have another walking exploration of the site as we did in May 2017. Before we know it the leaves will be out , so now is the time to start planning.

It seemed to work well last time parking in the public lot at the foot of Boxart Street, and walking from there.

I think the feeling is a Saturday works best for most of us altho personally I'm open to a Sunday if others wish. Next Saturday is the day before Easter. Does that help, or bring added family stuff that prevent participation? If not, how about the following week, the 23rd?

In either case, we'll have to watch the weather, clouds are OK but doubtful we are dedicated enough to go if it's an all-day rain.

What interest do we have?
 #1595531  by clearblock

I didn't realize the previous expedition was 5 years ago. Time indeed flies!

I am up for it again, weather permitting. Saturday 16th afternoon looks possible with present forecast high around 50, slight chance of rain early, sunshine later. Long range forecast for 4/23 is partly cloudy/55 if you believe something that far out. So, either looks possible depending on what actual weather will be.

I was very interested in what we saw the last time so it sounds worth another try with better info on what to look for.
 #1595535  by BR&P

Let me contact a couple others I know who are interested but have not seen this - I'll see what they think and we'll make a choice.
 #1595557  by BR&P

Looks like Easter is a factor so we'll skip this weekend. Saturday the 23rd will be the new target date. Let's hope the weather cooperates.

For background here's the pic and a map, I'll print off a couple copies to bring along when we go. The Turbinia is at the dock, apparently getting "bunker coal" or coal for its own use. Obviously the usual boats there were cargo ships being loaded.
(143.37 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
Here's a topo map showing the general layout.
(115.45 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
And here's a Google map showing the bigger picture. The Yates trestle itself was by the word "Genesee" at the top center. We'll park at the Turning Point Park lot at the bottom center. The B&O's trestle, which you may be familiar with, was where the word "Google" appears at the very bottom.
Map 1 draft.png
Map 1 draft.png (3.23 MiB) Viewed 711 times
 #1595675  by umtrr-author

Even without the railroad history, it's a nice walk along the boardwalk that's been installed over Turning Point. The path leads all the way to Charlotte as part of the larger "Genesee Riverway Trail." I've biked it a couple of times.

https://www.cityofrochester.gov/grt/
 #1596114  by BR&P

Saturday mostly cloudy but only 20% chance of rain, high of 60. I'd say this is our chance.

Public parking lot, foot of Boxart Street. What time works? 10:00? 10:30? 11:00?
 #1596197  by BR&P

Bumping this to the top, I'm talking to a couple others off-list. Tomorrow, April 23rd. I'm thinking once we get a couple warm days, the vegetation is going to green up in a hurry so this is probably the best chance we will have till next winter.

10AM Saturday the 23rd is a "go".