Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1586379  by nyandw

A wonderful photo by Edward Hand: M7 7196 Brentwood view W - 2/05/2016 with a bit of misting snow added.
All the best to everyone for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
 #1586424  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Good EH snow scene...The location is about half a mile east of Brentwood Station of a Ronkonkoma
bound train. This scene has changed since early 2016 with the addition of the second track and the removal
of an overhead pedestrian bridge serving an adjacent school on the south side of the tracks due to problems
with crime and vandalism there - this picture was taken from the north staircase. In the background is the
pedestrian overpass on the east end of Brentwood Station and the Brentwood water tower above...MACTRAXX
 #1586448  by photobug56

Nice photo! Of course, when I think of a LIRR train in the snow, I just imagine it stuck due to snow in the motors! :-) Of course, it's my understanding that the M7's have AC traction motors and should be resistant to the problem.
 #1586473  by scopelliti

My thoughts of the LIRR in snow would be gliding through Jamaica on a snowy night with all the switch points being kept warm and toasty by gas flames.