Railroad Forums 

• 2018 LIRR Fall Foliage Inquiry

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1487360  by nyandw

How is the Fall foliage looking this year?

Fall (2016) has had a noticeably late start this year for two reasons - primarily warmer weather and the lack of significant rain in any semblance of regularity. The leaf fall this year is peaking as of now (mid-November) after the peak fall colors which was later then normal. Info: Mike McEnaney
 #1487488  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Thanks for that 2016 quote about fall foliage on LI that I made.
Back last year (2017) the leaf change was again somewhat slow. The first two weeks of November
was the prime time for fall cleanup after there was a seemingly abrupt sudden seasonal change.
With the warm weather to begin October this year along with last night's severe weather outbreak
on LI and in the Hudson Valley it will again be interesting to see how the weather in October plays
itself out...MACTRAXX
 #1487880  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: Thanks for that 2016 quote about fall foliage on LI that I made.
Back last year (2017) the leaf change was again somewhat slow. The first two weeks of November
was the prime time for fall cleanup after there was a seemingly abrupt sudden seasonal change.
With the warm weather to begin October this year along with last night's severe weather outbreak
on LI and in the Hudson Valley it will again be interesting to see how the weather in October plays
itself out...MACTRAXX
Well, we shall wait and see! I'll post back on this topic about a month from now. :-)
 #1488638  by MACTRAXX

Morisot wrote:So far, 2018 is a VERY drab Fall on the Island. Where is all the COLOR!
M: Patience...The first frost may occur in the coming days - and then: COLOR!!! MACTRAXX