Railroad Forums 

• 2015 Predictions

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1309454  by R36 Combine Coach

I'll start:

North River Tunnel work begins, with weekend single tracking on selected weeks
First Comet IVs "decabbed"
Arrow III scrapping continues in modest numbers, at the age of 25 (1990) Comet IIIs eligible for scrap
Remaining 4100 series GP40s mark 47th full year in passenger service
Westmont opens
More Portal Bridge fires
RVL direct weekend service begins as trial with one roundtrip Sat/Sun
National Train Day comes to HOB, with help from URHS

On the bus side: NJT's "Transit" (local urban service, not long distance or interurban) fleet is 100% NABI, last RTSs retired
Initial procurements for the replacement of first MCI D4000/D4500 cruiser coaches begin

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Fixed thread title; also, this isn't a bus forum.
 #1309503  by sullivan1985

R36 Combine Coach wrote:North River Tunnel work begins, with weekend single tracking on selected weeks
This has already been the norm for the last 10 years.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:First Comet IVs "decabbed"
Doubtful.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Arrow III scrapping continues in modest numbers, at the age of 25 (1990) Comet IIIs eligible for scrap
I'll give you Arrows, but the Comet IIIs will most likely be offered for sale before scrapping.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Remaining 4100 series GP40s mark 47th full year in passenger service
All of the 4100 series engines remain intact, however not all in Passenger service.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Westmont opens
Not really a prediction. That's definite.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:More Portal Bridge fires
Why just Portal? Why not any of other the other dozen or so bridges in electrified territory?
R36 Combine Coach wrote:RVL direct weekend service begins as trial with one roundtrip Sat/Sun
Doubtful with continued weekend tunnel outages.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:National Train Day comes to HOB, with help from URHS
NJ Transit has shown minimal interest in National Train Day in the past and will most likely continue to do so.
 #1309516  by R3 Passenger

I have a feeling that Gateway is going to hit a major roadblock that will ripple out to affect the new Portal Bridges. It is going to cause a significant delay. In the meantime, one of the East River Tunnels flooded by Sandy will be closed for full repair.

I also think we might see a bid for Multilevel EMUs by year's end.

As for everything else, status quo.
 #1309637  by Hawaiitiki

Even with the US economy in full swing and ridership creeping towards 2008, these past two years have been quite morbid in terms of expansion. I might shed a tear if a dare open that infamous 2020 map. http://webspace.webring.com/people/tt/t ... jt2020.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outside of what people have already said:

-Tunnel work on the line to Andover

I know its Light Rail:

-But I think we'll finally start to see some true progress with the Northern Branch, maybe even a shovel in the ground
 #1309642  by zerovanity59

Hawaiitiki wrote:Even with the US economy in full swing and ridership creeping towards 2008, these past two years have been quite morbid in terms of expansion. I might shed a tear if a dare open that infamous 2020 map. http://webspace.webring.com/people/tt/t ... jt2020.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Currently operated rail lines. No major changes.

2. Committed projects all completed

3. #13 completed, #11, 18 and 23 still on the table and in various stages of preparation. A few others are not necessary cancelled.

4. Nothing came of these.
 #1309679  by morris&essex4ever

1. No work on the cutoff
2. Portal replacement is discussed but no actual work starts
3. No big storms
4. Some work to get existing infrastructure up to state of good repair
5. Maybe a replacement for the Arrows is procured
6. People who used to be regulars in this forum will lurk and laugh at how uninformed the board has become without them
 #1309750  by Dcell

1. New train line to Andover is completed, yard and station in Andover built and service to/from Andover begins on Nov. 16.
2. NJ and NY agree to extend No. 7 subway line to Secaucus transfer station and a planning consultant is hired.
3. Train fares increase 4.5% to fund the Transportation Trust Fund.
4. Amtrak Gateway Tunnel project makes zero progress.
5. Hoboken successfully stops mega office towers planned by NJT on its Terminal land.
6. Arrow III rebuilt units retired as NJT goes to an all push-pull fleet.
 #1309779  by Roadgeek Adam

I only see Wesmont being the only thing happening.

Anything else, you pray.
 #1309794  by sullivan1985

morris&essex4ever wrote:1. No work on the cutoff
Work should continue this year.
morris&essex4ever wrote:2. Portal replacement is discussed but no actual work starts
Technically work has already started. Those huge dirt mounds aren't sitting by Secaucus for aesthetics.
morris&essex4ever wrote:3. No big storms
I'll believe it when I see it.
morris&essex4ever wrote:4. Some work to get existing infrastructure up to state of good repair
Not really a prediction. That's a requirement.
morris&essex4ever wrote:5. Maybe a replacement for the Arrows is procured
Don't hold your breath.
morris&essex4ever wrote:6. People who used to be regulars in this forum will lurk and laugh at how uninformed the board has become without them
I've been laughing for a long time.
 #1309795  by sullivan1985

Dcell wrote:1. New train line to Andover is completed, yard and station in Andover built and service to/from Andover begins on Nov. 16.
The project will most likely not be complete for another two years. Based on previous station projectsa (Plauderville, Mt. Arlington, Ramsey 17, Wesmont ect) it takes about a full year or longer to build a station. Andover hasn't even had its brush clearing started.
Dcell wrote:2. NJ and NY agree to extend No. 7 subway line to Secaucus transfer station and a planning consultant is hired.

Why is this such an important project? The money that could be allotted to this project would be much better utilized elsewhere.
Dcell wrote:3. Train fares increase 4.5% to fund the Transportation Trust Fund.

Possibly.
Dcell wrote:4. Amtrak Gateway Tunnel project makes zero progress.

Gateway itself hasn't officially begun, but some of the progress started in ARC will become Gateway. So in a sense, it has already begun. (property acquisitions, land clearing, embankments, etc)
Dcell wrote:5. Hoboken successfully stops mega office towers planned by NJT on its Terminal land.
Hoboken is the one pushing to redevelop the yards. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014 ... ision.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dcell wrote:6. Arrow III rebuilt units retired as NJT goes to an all push-pull fleet.
The remaining arrows aren't going anywhere any time soon.
 #1309931  by bleet

sullivan1985 wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:2. Portal replacement is discussed but no actual work starts
Technically work has already started. Those huge dirt mounds aren't sitting by Secaucus for aesthetics.

Sully;

Are you sure those dirt piles are connected to the Portal Bridge project? Everything I've been able to find about them links them to capping the dump that used to be there.

I'd love to think progress is being made, but don't want to have my hopes dashed.
 #1310043  by northjerseybuff

Northern Branch DEIS will be released. There is a big push from ALL the mayors on the line to see this happen to Englewood. Will any work happen in 2015? No, but I think with the mayors push and a dedicated gas fund fix, this project will move ahead
Cutoff will slowly move ahead
Westmont will open.
That appears to be it.
 #1312348  by NJTforever

This is sad,I was hoping for major rail developments but nothing. I hope Amtrak gets that bid for the new Acela Fleet. Installation of new catenary system for the NEC between New Brunswick and Trenton.
States push for funding of gateway. And better weekend service on NJT lines that is not the Northeast Corridor.
 #1312405  by SecaucusJunction

I think you're going to be sad at the beginning of next year too...