Railroad Forums 

• 2014 Amherst Show Almost Here

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1240140  by dcm74

The Amherst Railway Society's Annual Railroad Hobby Show at the Big E in West Springfield, MA, is 3 weeks away (Jan. 25 & 26). Over 7 acres of railroading in 4 buildings. Further information available at: http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1240959  by dcm74

Be sure to check the vendor lists and floor plans. You can save a lot of time if you're looking for a particular product or dealer. Please use the pictured product when you go to visit Otto at the Carstens tables.
 #1241171  by Otto Vondrak

That off-road stroller would indeed be a formidable adversary to my shins... However, my new job keeps me pretty well installed in the Carstens booth, so dealing with navigating through the crowds of happy visitors is no longer as much of an issue for me as it was in the past. In fact, I say bring on the strollers, the Runabouts, the scooters, the Razor bikes, and the golf carts! The more the merrier :-)

As an aside... One year (probably way back in the 20th century) my friends and I "borrowed" a shopping cart from a local establishment and brought it to the train show at the Syracuse Fairgrounds. Needless to say, we were very popular with the vendors...

Folks, don't miss the Amherst Show. It is the largest gathering in the Northeast, and the proceeds help fund many worthwhile railroad preservation projects throughout the region. Don't complain about paying for parking, that's the venue own deal. Instead visit all of the vendors, museums, railroad clubs, and layouts and enjoy yourself!

And stop by and say hello to me at the Carstens Publications booth. :-)

-otto-
 #1242156  by dcm74

Less than 2 weeks before showtime. Anyone else going or is everyone afraid of those killer baby strollers?
 #1243817  by dcm74

One week to go. Otto should have his shin guards ready by now. Hope everyone has their shopping lists ready.
 #1243975  by GE45tonner

Looking forward to this! It's kinda like a continuation of the Holiday season. I'll be there at the Old Colony and Newport booth.
 #1244791  by Otto Vondrak

Come visit me at the Carstens Publications booth in the Young Building, where I imagine I will be shackled to for most of the weekend :-)

-otto-
 #1244798  by dcm74

Set up will start tomorrow, Jan. 23. The show itself opens at 9:00AM on Saturday. Tickets go on sale at 8:00AM. Otto is offering free baby stroller parking at the Carstens booth.
 #1245531  by dcm74

Saturday's attendance was 11,441. Otto has avoided the baby strollers so far so he should still be standing tomorrow.
 #1245903  by CNJ999

A bad back kept me from attending the show this year. Would anyone care to give an overview of what might have been of particular, or even general, interest that they noted as they wandered through the show? Any photos?

CNJ999
Last edited by CNJ999 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.