Railroad Forums 

• 2012 Walthers name train: C&O Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1051456  by NJTRailfan

OK so Walthers has released a Proto 1000 Amtrak/PRR Metroliner fleet but when will they come out with the next long distance train? I'm hoping for a Lackawanna/EL Phoebe Snow. But maybe they'll come out with the B&O Capital Limited. Southern could be a great candidate as well or even SAL.
 #1051609  by Steve F45

Has Walthers ever released a name train powered by a steam engine or just been E/F units? What was the LV's name train, i've seen it done by IHC. That would look good on some quality models or the blue comet!
 #1052043  by NJTRailfan

Now the Blue Comet would be great. The first evver a name train for a steam loco would be done. All so far have been E and F Units.
 #1052050  by CNJ999

Steve F45 wrote:Has Walthers ever released a name train powered by a steam engine or just been E/F units? What was the LV's name train, i've seen it done by IHC. That would look good on some quality models or the blue comet!
LV's "John Wilkes" was done I think by Rivarossi many years ago and the model is today considered a rather valuable collectible (~$300 in standard DC). IHC has done a "stand-in" for the Lehigh Valley's Asa Packer and perhaps also the Black Diamond (but neither would be an accurate model) simply using the semi-streamlined version of their 4-6-2 Pacfic shell.

Walthers might utilize their Life-Like division to create a named steam train locomotive, but almost surely wouldn't be for one of the anthracite roads, like LV, CNJ, O&W, LNE, etc. Their Wootten fireboxes precludes the shell's use for any other loco design involved in potential projects. In fact, in the last 60 years only Mantua and Bachmann have ever offered rear-cab versions of such steam engines on a mass market scale.

CNJ999
 #1069094  by Ken S.

Steve F45 wrote:not sure if its a name train or not, but in my august MR they had an add with the 2013 catalog and a C&O E8 on the cover.
Looking at listings right now for the C&O's Pere Marquette. E7, RPO, Baggage, 52-Seat Coach, Diner Coach, Chessie Club, and 10-6.