Railroad Forums 

• 2005 Stone Train

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #114710  by blackhawk

Hi all,

Just wanted to know when the stone train will be starting up again. Would love to catch you guys at prima.

Thanks,

Debbie

#114740  by jayrmli

As I posted on another thread, the stone train watch has officially begun!

Let the questions begin!

The big question, however, is not when the stone train is coming, but where will they get the (working) engines to pull it???

Jay

#114761  by LIRRNOVA55

i can somhow picture every engine NYAR owns pulling the stone train chugging through KO lookign like a steam freight. . . . :P it wasent uncommon for espee to use 10 engines on a freight :wink:

#114790  by Long Island 7285

and if NYA uses every engine they have on the stone train,(it would be awsom to see /chase that run) then more then half of the (top of the line engines) craps out. where will new power come from?

can the P&W units be leised if there not 6axel power?
i know there is that ASC compliant thingy and leading. but use 2 of them and the best Geep? that should be more then enough power?

#114837  by AMoreira81

Looking at the fleet count on NY&A's site, a standard freight train with all of its cars ought to need no more than 4 or 5 locos, unless they are GP-35 locos.

#114935  by tushykushy

Hey, if you guys are short on engines.... I own a 94' "Evergreen" Thunderbird with a V8 under the hood plus a cold air intake. I think I could haul out 40 loads out to Prima. Just gimme one of those cool decals and you're all set.
 #114942  by blackhawk

Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. Guess you could say that NYA needs some new engines. Anyway, can you give me an idea when they might be at prima? And leave the MP15's at the yard. Bring the GP's. Nicer to see them. Hope to catch you tomorrow.

Debbie
 #114948  by freightguy

Yes I agree to leave the MP15's in the yard. As it stands right now 1 out of 4 of the MP15's are in good condition for the road with working automatic speed control. Two of them are down with major mechanical failures with the 156 being the record holder(2002). The stone has been postponed I believe due to the current engine situation. Lack of space in the yard is also a problem. The Prima train at 40 cars takes up one of the irons upstairs which is already congested. Also the P&W crews park their engines downstairs in Fresh Pond, even that will be a problem with the limited yard space. I'll post when I hear that it is officially coming down from Reeds Gap, CT.

#114964  by DogBert

So the poop is finally hitting the fan? :)

cp and csx both just left town, csx witha fairly long train, cp with 20 cars. maybe that'll make for enough room?

i'm not all that familiar with the specifics of space at fresh pond - if tracks were to be added, where could they be put? upstairs it's not too unrealistic to extend a siding to the north for more capacity. Could more tracks also go in north or south of ENY tunnel?

Just speculation... I know it won't happen anytime soon. something would ahve to get based out of bay ridge first...

#115118  by jayrmli

They should start by replacing 3 Iron track upstairs from Fremont to the tunnel. This was supposed to be another concession they earned when Yard A was given up. This probably went the same way that plans for rebuilding Blissville went.

If 3 Iron was in, they'd have no problems handling the stone train.

Jay

#115331  by DogBert

another random thought - any ideas how much each stone train move makes for the company?
 #115638  by freightguy

The Prima Tilcon train is a money maker. I won't expell the exact amount, but 40 cars going to one destination like that is a good bulk move for the railroad. It is kind of like unit coal train going to a power plant. Alot of it is moved by barge to the island than obviously finally trucked. That is part of Tilcon's stone move in Port Jefferson harbor.

#116968  by phantom

Coming in Friday night, 4/15, for RS-30? Saturday 4/16

Power for the train is anybody's guess. We'll have to see what's still running at gametime!

#117031  by DogBert

Fan-tastic. It's been too long since I've heard those GEs coming across the bridge into queens at midnight...

#117033  by emfinite

Maybe they will bring it out with just one engine this year...

And make a few trips to bring all 40 cars out!!