Railroad Forums 

• 2 foot railway in Wellfleet, Mass.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#347589  by BayColony1706

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything left of the Paine Enterprises Marine Railway in Wellfleet, MA. I know some equipment went to the WW&F, but people i have talked to in the area say that there is indeed some still in wellfleet. anyways, My question is, does anyone know where exactly in wellfleet this is located? any help would be greatly appreciated!

#350949  by BayColony1706

Interestingly enough, I found the railway (what's left of it) this past weekend. it is located in south wellfleet, just off Rt. 6. The line consists of 24" guage panel track, probably about 500 feet long. It was at one point almost 2000 feet of track, but most is gone. Appearantly, the gentleman who owns it used it to haul boats from the bay to his back yard. the equipment was several carts (looks like a modifyed mine cart frame) and two 1.5 ton Brookville locomotives. Both locomotives are now in maine. one is now WW&F 51, and the other is in a Guy's yard in Belfast. I have some photos that were taken on saturday of the track, and former enginehouse. I will post more details on the history and any other info I may find out later