Railroad Forums 

• 2-axle freight car - not common in the US

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#275343  by .Taurus.

Of course for the heavy weight transport trucks make more sense than a single axle.
(For example bulk materials and steel products, europe very similar to USA)

But if the load is very voluminous and not so heavy, single-axle cars are very common in use in europe.
In the USA you extend the car, so you can use a truck too! :P
(For example cars for auto parts and automobiles or trailers)

86ft Auto Parts Boxcar

vs

Hbbins

Greets

#275486  by scharnhorst

do european countrys interchange cars with each outher Like American Canadian, and Mexican railroads do? Like lets say Germany for exsample is or could it be possable to see cars from railroads from countrys like Liechtenstein, Netherlands, Switzerland, and lets say France in one train or scattered about Germany?

#275562  by .Taurus.

scharnhorst wrote:[...]do european countrys interchange cars with each other?[...]
Yes, if the cars are compatible to each other (in clearance, gauge, coupler, ...) , they can run from one country to another one.

The railcars are approximately identically among each other on the european mainland.
Just railcars from the UK are visible smaller in their shape.

Can you see the difference in the shape ? :P

I'm talking about the interoperability of railcar;
but the interoperability of engines, esp. electrical engines, is more difficult !

-------------
very good Website about introduction to European interoperability

Greets
 #275590  by bengt

You can send a freight car from Narvik in Norway or from Tornio in Finland down to Bandar Abbas at the Hormous Streat at the inlet to the Persian Gulf.
I have personaly seen the end of the lines in Tornio and Narvik so I traveled by rail down to Bandar Abbas to have a look at the other end. But there was no buffer stops there - there are two complete turning loops.
In Julfa,Iran, there is snow in april. Two and a half day later we were in Bandar Abbas with +32C at 09 AM
If a car is built to UIC 505 loading guage it can go anywhere on the european and asian standard guage,1435 mm, lines. This car also have UIC 505
painted on which is very unusual to see. This car run on russian type bogies and have SA3 automatic couplers.

ImageImage
Right is a guage for Germany which is very simmilar to UIC 505. The UIC 505 is about 350 mm lower. To the left is three swedish and one
finnish loading guage. The finnish and the russian loading guage is very simmilar.
Here under is the american and the chineese to compare with.
ImageImage

A iranian caboose. In Europe most freight trains are run by a driver only. Exeptions are Italy, Roumania, Bulgaria, Turkey and Iran.

http://hem.bredband.net/tilkli/english/ ... _frame.htm

http://hem.bredband.net/tilkli/3_iran_g ... ran_15.htm

#275641  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those "Russian type bogies" certainly look to have been directly copied, from AAR trucks..........

#275724  by scharnhorst

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Those "Russian type bogies" certainly look to have been directly copied, from AAR trucks..........
We did supply the Russians with U.S. Built equipment (Cars & Locomotives) during WWII so it would not suprise me if they did make copys of what ever rolling stock we sent them There still runing ALCO RSC-2's and did many copys of them as well which were sold all over Europe.

Russian Railroads use 5 foot gage. I would think that the rest of the former Countrys that once made up the USSR would also have 5 foot gage as well? Kind of intresting how that came about to be a problum during WWII for the Germans who use Standered Gage like North American Railroads. The German Army from my understandig did try to regage the Russian Rail network so as to speed up the process of haveing to not unload at one station and reload at anouther. They gave up after finding that it was useing up to many men that could have been used on the frount. Just one of many wastefull blunders that helped the Allies win the war besides the cold Russian Winters.