Railroad Forums 

• 2 abandoned eastern Ohio ex B&O lines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#138219  by Hoosierailnut

Im looking at my steam powered atlas at two lines in eastern Ohio that were operated under CSX and abandoned. One runs from near Uhrichesville down to near St Clairsville and ends near Martins Ferry.
Another goes from near Cambridge passes near St Clairsville and crosses the Ohio River near Wheeling and Benwood Jct.. When did CSX abandon these lines and what did they haul on them? My guess is they were coal lines as there are a few mines that are shown on my maps as closed.
Whats left of them to see? There looks like to be a tunnel on my map between Tippecanoe and Freeport on the old B&O between Martins Ferry and Urichesville and there looks like there is another tunnel on the old line between Flushing and Lafferty. Why did CSX abandon the two lines?

#138310  by shlustig

The line from Uhrichsville south was the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling (CL&W) mainline. Mineral freight was coal north and iron ore south.
Holloway was the division point and major yard. From U'ville north to Warwick, the line is operated by R. J. Corman.

The line paralleling I-70 was the original B&O mainline which ran west to Newark and then north to Sandusky. Line was downgraded after the B&O began operating west from Pittsburgh to Akron and Chicago Jct. (Willard).

Don't have the abandonment dates handy.

Hope this helps.