Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1413689  by Jeff Smith

http://www.brickunderground.com/live/2-3-train-shutdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More transit troubles for Brooklyn: The 2/3 train will shut down on weekends starting this spring

The hits keep on coming for the borough of Kings: DNAInfo reports that 2 and 3 train service between Brooklyn and Manhattan will be cut on weekends starting this spring. As with the L train, which in 2019 will shut down between the two boroughs for 18 months, the 2 and 3 will stop running so that the MTA can make repairs to a tunnel under the East River that was damaged during Hurricane Sandy.

In a press release, the MTA explained that the repair work will take 56 weekends, meaning 2/3 riders will have to find new travel routes on Saturdays and Sundays for over a year. Downtown 2s will terminate at the South Ferry station, and downtown 3s will stop at 14th Street. Uptown 2/3 trains, meanwhile, will end at Nevins Street in Brooklyn. On weekends, there will be no 2/3 train service at the Park Place, Fulton Street, Wall Street, Clark Street, Borough Hall, and Hoyt Street stations.

Those who live or work in the Financial District and Brooklyn Heights stand to be the most inconvenienced, as are riders who live in neighborhoods that are served only by the 2/3, like East New York and Brownsville. It's a headache for those in Flatbush and Crown Heights, too, but they at least have the alternative of the 4/5 line.
 #1414475  by Allan

"Downtown 2s will terminate at the South Ferry station"

I wonder if that means that the "new" South Ferry station will be reopened by then.

There could be a problem with R142s using the old station as the door positions may not line up properly with the gap fillers (unless they plan to do a 'partial open' with only one of the end doors in each of the first 5 cars being opened)..
 #1414516  by trainbrain

The new South Ferry station, according to Wikipedia is supposed to open in summer 2017. Maybe they upped that date to allow the 2 trains to terminate there.

Also, why are they planning to run shuttle trains in Brooklyn? Just extend the 4 to New Lots Ave and the 5 to Flatbush Ave and run them local in Brooklyn on weekends. Would be a lot cheaper.
 #1414552  by Allan

According to the MTA press release the 4 will be extended to New Lots and the 5 will be extrended to Flatbush Av. Both lines will be local south of Nevins St.

There is no mention at all that "uptown 2/3 trains, meanwhile, will end at Nevins Street in Brooklyn" - I have a feeling that the person who wrote the article for brickunderground.com got some misinformation.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-t ... -23-tunnel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1434988  by trainbrain

Work starting this weekend. The MTA website says that for the first two weekends, 2 trains will terminate at Rector Street, confirming that they will still be using the loop station at that time. Once in July, 2 trains will terminate at South Ferry. I have no idea whether that means the new station is reopening or they simply modified the 2's equipment to use the loop station. R142's have never used the loop station to my knowledge. They've always bypassed it when rerouted trains needed to go through.
 #1435028  by GirlOnTheTrain

You heard right. I mentioned in another thread somewhere else on here (and someone didn't believe me...) that there is a special shield for the R62 MDC that must be in place when stopping at South Ferry to physically prevent the conductor from opening the back half of the train. They don't have that shield for the NTT...and like rr503 said... "foreign" crews aren't trusted to not open the wrong half of the train.

And allegedly, yes, after the few weekends of the 2 terminating at Rector, New South Ferry will be open again.
 #1435072  by trainbrain

I find it so odd that if the new South Ferry is reopening in 2 weeks, why the MTA is so quiet about it. They have made zero updates since January and those said it would open in June. You'd think they'd be making a much bigger deal out of it since it is a large upgrade over the old one. If it's delayed, than I'd think they'd be saying that the 2 would be terminating at Rector Street on weekends until further notice, not just the first two weekends.
 #1442680  by trainbrain

One thing I realized is that because the 3 is based out of Livonia Yard, the tunnel closure prevents trains in weekend service from being able to access the yard. It's often the case that when a service is cut short or split into two sections where one of the sections can't access the yard, that they often borrow sets from another line. For example, when there has been GO's that prevented the 2 from running between The Bronx and Manhattan, it has sometimes run R62A's from the 1 operate on the southern section (usually between 96th Street and Flatbush). I wonder if the weekend 3 service is regularly borrowing sets from the 1 as well.
 #1442777  by GirlOnTheTrain

Doesn't stop them from doing convoluted transfers from Livonia to 240th during said GO...let's see if you can figure out what the routing for that would be :P
 #1442785  by andrewjw

I'm assuming it's more complicated than just running up the <5> route, or around South Ferry loop from the Jouralemon tunnels? Transferring through Linden, Broadway, Christie, up CPW, and then 207th or Concourse Yard seems unnecessarily convoluted. (Can the transfer through Linden even be done without assistance?)
 #1442818  by GirlOnTheTrain

trainbrain wrote:One thing I realized is that because the 3 is based out of Livonia Yard, the tunnel closure prevents trains in weekend service from being able to access the yard.
When they turn at 14th street those trains come from Lenox yard.
 #1442846  by trainbrain

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Doesn't stop them from doing convoluted transfers from Livonia to 240th during said GO...let's see if you can figure out what the routing for that would be :P
Probably the exact same route they have used during some late night GO's on the 2 line.

Train runs via the 4, changes ends at Wall Street, wrong rails back to Bowling Green, runs around the South Ferry Loop, and then up the 7th Ave Line.

When done in revenue service on the 2, they make all stops to Wall Street, then bypass Bowling Green, South Ferry, and Rector Street going back into normal service at Chambers Street. This can only be done in revenue service during overnight hours or there would be too many trains to allow the train to wrong rail and change ends at Wall Street. For equipment transfers, they could probably do it during any time that wasn't rush hour and use the express tracks where available to avoid having conflicts with the trains in revenue service.