Railroad Forums 

• 2-10-4 in New Hope

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#117075  by CR6618

I remember there was a big 2-10-4 being restored at New Hope, PA in the early 1990's. Anybody know what happened to it?

#117108  by BlackDog

Probably that B&LE engine, I'd love to see that brute romping and stomping. I'm going to guess that it stalled out due to lack of money and/or commitments to run it. It doesn't make too much economic sense to dump literally hundreds of thousands of $'s into a steam locomotive restoration if there is no chance for a return on investment. Modern day steam operations must be run as a business, not just an overgrown train layout. I can think of several restored large mainline steam locomotives sidelined right now because of lack of opportunity.

#117240  by CR6618

I was wrong -- it's a 4-8-4. A friend just gave me the info.

Engine 3028, Alco QR-1 4-8-4, from NdeM. Still sitting at New Hope & Ivyland Railroad, New Hope, PA awaiting restoration.

#118658  by Allen Hazen

Which, since the NdeM had some of the smallest and lightest 484 in North America, might be small enough to be run economically on excursions!

#120821  by limejuice

3028 is actively being restored. Currently, the air pumps are being rebuilt. The air tanks were recently finished. The combustion chamber and firebox are also being reconstructed. The plans are to have the engine fired up later next year. For more information about the restoration process, visit http://www.nhrrvolunteers.org

#130236  by msernak

Where will this engine be run?