Railroad Forums 

• 1st Generation SD-series official thread (all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#71999  by Phil Hom

Zero

Most 567D engines are gone from class one service.

PS Some of these hoods contain radio control equipment and never had steam generators.

#72006  by crazy_nip

none

most of the remaining SCL SDP35's were converted to "H15" hump engines in 1981, and as a result the boiler compartment was chopped. The ones which were not converted were gone from the roster not long after that. The boilers themselves were removed around 1973 or thereabouts

the UP and L&N SDP35's were scrapped in the 70's

#72148  by SSW9389

Actually there is one left at Hamlet, North Carolina. It is an ex-SAL unit, painted same and it is stuffed and mounted at the old SAL depot.

Phil Hom wrote:Zero

Most 567D engines are gone from class one service.

PS Some of these hoods contain radio control equipment and never had steam generators.

#72213  by crazy_nip

the one at hamlet has its steam gen compartment chopped...

#72320  by Bryanjones

there is only 1 remaining SDP35 that did not have the rear end chopped and that is Southwestern Portland Cement #411. This was a former SCL unit retired by the L&N in 1978.

only 4 SCL SDP35's were converted to H15's. The other 4 H15's were standard SD35's.

All SDP35's had the rear ends chopped by L&N before the Seaboard System formation when the units went into yard service.

UP's 10 SDP35's were in operation through the middle of 1980. The units were then stored and remained in storage until formally retired by UP in 1985. All 10 were scrapped.

Bryan Jones

#72874  by Railpac

It may just be me, but it looks like the front and rear trucks have different wheel bases, do they? If so, which truck has the normal flexicoil dimensions?
 #73061  by SD Shortline

The unit appears to be on a curve so the trucks are pivoted distorting there size. :-)
 #74299  by Lake State ALCohaulic

Could someone give me information on the key physical differences between an SD-7 and an SD-10? I want to model an SD-10 in HO scale. I think they were sometimes called SD-7m's.

#74637  by Lake State ALCohaulic

Thanks for the great photos and info Michael! I did not know what that thing was on the roof of the long hood until you said it. That clears things up. :-)

#75446  by dave76

Wow BNSF SD9 #6128 is a beautiful locomotive, that paint scheme just fits it perfect.

#75753  by trainiac

Does it ever! That paint scheme also looks nice on their 1st generation Geeps.

#76099  by Conrail

Are there more running SDP35s than that SWPC unit?

#77658  by jesse corbett

Pulling a head or an entire assembly out of an EMD in pieces is dirty and labor intensive but very do-able. Parts are cheap. If the easy out did not work, by this point you have probably damaged the CRV (compression relief valve) tube. EMD and half a dozen other outfits make a replacement kit that is pretty easy to put in. Check first though...some are just sleeve inserts and others are weld in replacements. If you can get by with just the sleeve kit, then you only need hand tools.

If your railroad is like 99% of all others, they never open the CRV's or drain cocks anyway (except when the battereries are so weak they open them up in a feeble attempt to get up the cranking speed up enough so the half a can of ether they squirted in the airbox will catch fire and start the engine) so just seal it.

The issue that needs to be addressed is why this happened in the first place. More than likely somebody used a pipe wrench to tighten up the CRV's. Everyone does it but it puts way too much torque on it and it is going to bust or atleast start leaking. These things only need to be tight enough to not leak and keep from working loose. If you are putting more torque on them than you would on your kitchen sink cheap drain pipe, you are asking for trouble.
 #77981  by SD Shortline

The Dakota Southern opens the petcocks when the unit is shut down as normal practice. There are exceptions, such as the lcomotive will be used again later in the day. The 4427 is the only active SD right at this time, so caution is used when starting it up. The big SD has been in service hauling stored grain empties across South Dakota.

There is no reason to use a pipe wrench to tighten them up, hand tight will work fine. I haven't ever heard of crews tightening them with anything other than the old bar that EMD built to fit the end. It was just about 8 inches long with to small prongs on the end. 4427 has hand holds tacked onto the end of the petcock shaft. Most EMD come this way or are converted at one point.

It just simply sheered away when the drain cock was opened, no particular reason, it just broke.

It has a modified solution that gets the job done for now. They welded the end to the side of the engine to give the shaft something to hold on to for now. The EZ outs didn't quite hold up, it was tight.

Thanks
SD Shortline
I'll get some pictures up of her one of these days...