Railroad Forums 

• 1994 M&E Cab Ride Video

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#452944  by NJTRailfan

I was looking through some of my old stuff when I can across an old M&E Cab Ride Video by Railroad Video Productions. This video is an hour and 30 minutes long and according to the back it says that it's a cab ride on an Alco C-430 from NJT's Meadows Maintenance Complex aka Fmr PRR Meadows Yard in Kearny, NJ to Dover via the Boonton Line. The train consists of ex LIRR Passenger Cars to the old Rocakway Branch. So my question is what happened to these cars? Were the scrapped or used for another purpose? Also how many cars long was this train?

Thanks
 #591418  by Tri-State Tom

NJT -

Resurrecting your post....

This is indeed a now classic video featuring the late Ben Friedland at the controls and conductor Bill Meyers. Half the trip over now OOS lower Boonton line with a Form D for slow speed West up to I think Glen Ridge for then bridge construction somewhere in Bloomfield. I believe they were hauling 5 ex-LIRR 'Pong' coaches destined for eventual sale to the Suzy-Q.

Save for a brief 'polishing of rail' switch to the Lincoln Park siding, lotsa track-speed running West of Great Notch !
 #591744  by jhdeasy

I have a copy of that videotape which I keep onboard the MOUNT VERNON. I've watched it a few times during the past years and find it quite interesting. I don't think I ever rode the (now out of service) lower Boonton Line; if I am correct, that swing-bridge between the MMC and the area to the northwest is visible from Amtrak's NorthEast Corridor trains.

In June 2004, while we were traveling from Montreal to Halifax with MOUNT VERNON coupled behind the PARK observation car on the rear of Via's "Ocean", I played the tape for some visiting UK railroad enthusiasts who were Via sleeper passengers that I met during our station stop at Moncton NB when they asked me "What is this car blocking our rearward view from the observation lounge?" The Brits really enjoyed the M&E cab ride tape, along with a micro-brew beer that we served them!

Think about that: Railfans from the United Kingdom, guests onboard an American owned private railroad car, travelling thru the Canadian Maritime (New Brunswick) area on a Via train, watching a Morristown & Erie Railway cab ride video tape while enjoying a bottle of Quebec beer!