Railroad Forums 

• 1964 Pennsylvania to NY World's Fair from the Eastern Shore

• Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #638944  by foamy

Hi, new poster here. I'm looking for any information about a Pennsylvania passenger train to the '64 World's Fair that passed through Denton, MD.

I recall waiting with my parents and some other families from Federalsburg at Denton. The train was supposed to show at 4:30AM—I believe it showed up around 7–7:30. It was an E unit five stripe and that's all I can recall, other than it being one heck of a thrill.

Does anyone recall this train? I believe it was a special run from what I remember of my parents conversation (I was 7 years old at the time). Another Pennsy took us home that night. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think we changed trains in Philly, then took the subway in NY.

Specifically, I'd like to get in touch with anyone who may have photos of that day and train, where it originated, the consist, power, train number/designation—anything. Anyone knowing of photos of the old Denton Station—can't find any, anywhere.

Any help would be a boon—thanks, very much.
 #678348  by drewh

I just saw a really good PBS production from WLIW about the fair. They were giving away the DVD with a support contribution (Relive the Wonder, The 1964 World's Fair). You can watch a different one they did here, the one they showed the other night I can't find a reference to on their site at all.

http://www.wliw.org/productions/documen ... -here/301/

There are also quite a few videos posted on YouTube.

BTW, this was not a true World's Fair as it was not sactioned by the worldwide organisation (Bureau International des Expositions - BIE). A number of countries therefore boycotted it. The BIE's rules state that no country can have more than one fair every 15 years. The US one was Seattle's in 62. Montreal Expo '67 was next. But they seemed to overlook this with San Antonio in 1968 and then again in the 80's with both Knoxville and New Orleans.

http://www.bie-paris.org/main/index.php?p=345&m2=8