Railroad Forums 

• 1955-era New Haven, CT tower demolished - 11/18

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#187155  by Otto Vondrak

It appears that sometime in the last few days, the New Haven terminal tower adjascent to the Motor Storage tracks was demolished. Today there is a pile of rubble and a John Deere backhoe where the tower once stood. I had the pleasure to visit that tower during the summer of 2003 before it closed for good... great memories being up in that old tower. Hope someone was able to save the CTC machine.

The tower was erected by New Haven in 1955.

-otto-
 #187158  by H.F.Malone

About 10 years ago, RMNE requested the CTC machine from Tower 75. It was removed and safely stored two years ago.

#187211  by TomNelligan

I'm sorry to hear that SS75 has joined the vast number of railroad heritage buildings that have been demolished in recent years. I had a chance to watch the operators at work there a number of times in the mid-1960s through the kindness of the late Jack Kelleher, a family friend and veteran NH operator. It wasn't an especially attractive building, just a brick blockhouse, but it was an important part of New Haven RR oprations.

#192644  by travelinjack

My first job with Amtrak was at New Haven Tower. New Haven East Block Operator. I loved working in that old, cold dirty tower. Of course most of the machine was dark. At one time it controlled from Branford, Ct to Woodmont, Ct. By the time I started there it only controlled from the Division Post (Amtrak/Metro-North) to Woodmont. It was a fun place to work.